Posted by Michael on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 7:35pm.
1. Chlorobenzene, C6H5Cl, is used in the production of chemicals such as aspirin
and dyes. One way that chlorobenzene is prepared is by reacting benzene, C6H6,
with chlorine gas according to the following BALANCED equation.
C6H6 (l) + Cl2 (g) „³ƒnC6H5Cl (s) + HCl (g)
a. What is the theoretical yield if 45.6 g of benzene react?
b. If the actual yield is 63.7 g of chlorobenzene, calculate the percent yield.
2. When carbon disulfide burns in the presence of oxygen, sulfur dioxide and
carbon dioxide are produced according to the following equation.
CS2 (l) + 3 O2 (g) „³ƒnCO2 (g) + 2 SO2 (g)
a. What is the percent yield of sulfur dioxide if the burning of 25.0 g of
carbon disulfide produces 40.5 g of sulfur dioxide?
b. What is the percent yield of carbon dioxide if 2.5 mol of oxygen react and
32.4 g of carbon dioxide are produced?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 8:17pm
For the clorobenzene problem.
Convert 45.6 g benzene to moles. moles = grams/molar mass.
Using the coefficients in the balanced equation, convert moles benzene to moles of the product.
Now convert moles of the product to grams. g = moles x molar mass. This is the theoretical yield.
%yield = (actual yield/theoretical yield)*100 = ??
The others problems in the post are done the same way.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - semibatch reaction: C6H6(l) +Cl2(g) ==> C6H5Cl(l) + HCl(g) C6H5(l...
- CHEMISTRY- vapour pressure - Bromobenzene, C6H5Br, and chlorobenzene, C6H5Cl, ...
- chemistry-check over work - 2C6H5Cl(chlorobenzene)+C2HOCl3(chloral)=C14H9Cl5(DDT...
- NUL University - predict the bromination rates of the following aromatic ...
- Chemistry - DDT, an insecticide harmful to fish, birds, and humans, is produced ...
- chemistry - Benzene, C6H6, is a known carcinogen that burns in air according to ...
- Chemistry - A mixture is prepared using equal masses of two volatile liquid ...
- Chemistry - How much heat would be required to convert 234.3 g of solid benzene...
- Chemistry - 27) What volume of benzene (C6H6, d= 0.88 g/mL, molar mass = 78.11 g...
- chemistry - 1-What are the characteristics of the benzene molecule and those of ...