Posted by miley on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 9:40pm.
an electric current I , in amps is given by:
I= cos(wt) + sqrt of 3 sin(wt)
where w is positive constant. what are the max and minimum values of I?
*please be specific
- math/calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 9:56pm
dI/dt = -wsin wt + w√3cos wt
= 0 for max min
wsin wt = w√3cos wt
sin wt/cos wt = w√3/w = √3
tan wt = pi/3 or 4pi/3
if wt = pi/3
I = cos pi/3 + √3sin pi/3 = .5 + 1.5 = 2
if wt = 4pi/3
I = cos 4pi/3 + √3sin 4pi/3 = -.5 -1.5 = -2
- math/calculus - miley, Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 10:02pm
so it could be pi/3 or 4pi/3
which means both are correct?
should i put both answers or one answer on my final paper?
- math/calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 10:33pm
The pi/3 yields the maximum, notice I = +2
and the 4pi/3 yields the minimum
The actual question was, "what are the max and min values of I"
max of I is 2
min of I is -2
the pi/3 and 4pi/3 produce those max and mins, they themselves are not the max and mins.
Answer this Question
- Math/calc - an electric current I , in amps is given by: I= cos(wt) + sqrt of 3 ...
- Calculus - Please look at my work below: Solve the initial-value problem. y'' + ...
- Math/Calculus - Solve the initial-value problem. Am I using the wrong value for ...
- calculus - Differentiate. y= (cos x)^x u= cos x du= -sin x dx ln y = ln(cos x)^x...
- Calculus - Second Order Differential Equations - Posted by COFFEE on Monday, ...
- trigonometry (please double check this) - Solve the following trig equations. ...
- math - Prove that for all real values of a, b, t (theta): (a * cos t + b * sin t...
- Calc. - Differentiate. y= (cos x)^x u= cos x du= -sin x dx ln y = ln(cos x)^x ln...
- calculus - Find complete length of curve r=a sin^3(theta/3). I have gone thus- (...
- math - A trigonmetric polynomial of order n is t(x) = c0 + c1 * cos x + c2 * cos...