Posted by CL on Monday, March 29, 2010 at 9:54pm.
A ferris wheel has radius of 25 m and its centre is 27 m above the ground. It rotates once every 40 seconds. Sandy gets on the ferris wheel at its lowest point and the wheel starts to rotate.
Determine a sinusodial equation that gives her height, h, above the ground as a function of the elapsed time, t, where h is in metres and t in seconds
all i know is that amplitude is 25
and period is 40
and the vertical displacement is 27
- math - Reiny, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 10:24pm
Such an equation is not unique, I thought
h = 25sin π/20(t +30) + 27
when t = 0 , h = 2 , let's say the platform to get on
when t = 10 , h = 27 , that makes sense
when t = 20, h = 52 , at the top, makes sense
when t = 40, h = 2, back down to the start,
- math - CL, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 10:29pm
i don't get where the horizontal displacement of +30 comes from :S
- math - Reiny, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 10:33pm
I started with
y = 25sin π/20(t) , sketch that graph
I knew I had to raise it 27 metres
but that the low point or the starting point of the ride at 30 seconds, we wanted that to be at 0 seconds, so I had to move the whole curve 30 seconds to the left.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A Ferris wheel has a radius of 35m and starts at 2m above the ground. It ...
- trig question - A Ferris wheel has a deameter of 50m. The platform at the bottom...
- Math (Trig) - a ferris wheel has a radius of 10m and is one meter above the ...
- Trigonometric Functions - A person is riding a ferris wheel that turns at a ...
- Physics - A particular Ferris wheel takes you through one complete revolution ...
- math - a ferris wheel has a radius of 8m and rotates every 12 hrs. THe bottom of...
- Trigonometry - A carnival Ferris wheel with a radius of 7 m makes one complete ...
- calculus - Eric is standing on the ground, a distance of 70 ft from the bottom ...
- Physics - A ferris wheel, radius 5.0m, rotates once every 8.4 seconds. a) What ...
- Math - need help ASAP!! Please! - The question relates to application of sine ...