Posted by Kiki on Monday, March 29, 2010 at 9:13pm.
I tried to figure this out with my standard reduction potentials sheet, and tried to find a sulfate ion for the first part, but I don't think that is the answer...any help is much appreciated
apchemistry - Kiki, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 9:14pm
PartA Suppose you had a solution containing Pb2+ and Tl+ and wanted to convert the lead to solid metal but leave the Tl+ in solutin. What reducing agent(s) would be able to drive the reaction?
apchemistry - Kiki, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 9:15pm
a thin metal sheet is compposed of Fe and Cobalt
You would like to recover the Cobalt What oxidizing agent(s) would allow you to ionize Fe to Fe2+ but not ionize Co?
apchemistry - DrBob222, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 10:01pm
The activity series of metals is
Any metal at the top will displace the ION of any metal BELOW it in the series. Therefore, Co, Ni, and Sn will displace Pb^+2 from solution and deposit Pb metal but will not displace an ion ABOVE it (so Tl^+ doesn't get displaced). Co is the closest to Tl; therefore, I would pick Ni or Sn. Try those with your voltage numbers and see if that works.
apchemistry - Kiki, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 10:58pm
thank you--also, does this work for the Fe iron part of the question too?
apchemistry - DrBob222, Monday, March 29, 2010 at 11:16pm
The same procedure works for the Fe/Co part but I don't have iron in the series. You need to put Fe in at the proper spot. By the way, I think you interchanged the words ionize/oxidize. I think you wanted the word oxidize.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Given these standard reduction potentials at 25 C 1. Cr3+ + e- ===&...
- Chemistry - use the appropriate standard reduction potentials in the appendix of...
- chemistry... HELP - Equilibrium constant question!!!? Standard reduction ...
- chemistry - (AAAAA)The standard reduction potentials of lithium metal and ...
- Chemistry - Please help! I have spent hours trying to work these three problems...
- chemistry (electrochemistry) - 1) For the following electrochemical cell Cu(s)|...
- Calculus - My question is:Use L'Hospital's rule to find limit as x approaches 0...
- Chemistry - Using the standard reduction potentials, calculate the equilibrium ...
- Trig - How do I solve the following? sec 3 theta/2 = 2 on the interval 0<...
- chemistry - This question I really don't get it. I tried tried tried to figure ...