Posted by jillian on Monday, March 29, 2010 at 5:00pm.
A 1.00-kg duck is flying overhead at 1.50 m/s when a hunter fires straight up. The 0.010 0-kg bullet is moving 100 m/s when it hits the duck and stays lodged in the duck's body. What is the speed of the duck and bullet immediately after the hit?
- physics - Lee, Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 1:50am
v1= 1.50 m/s
m1*v1= 1kg*1.50kg= 1.50kg-m/s
m2*v2= 0.010kg*100m/s= 1.0kg-m/s
Since the bullet is shot in a vertical movement, and the duck was flying horizontally, then we can use Pythagorean to solve for the final velocity(vF).
Velocity in the x-component(vx)
-> (mT)(vx)= momentum of duck.
--> (1.010kg((vx)= 1.50kg-m/s
---> (vx)= (1.50kg-m/s)/(1.010kg-m/s)
----> (vx)= 1.485m/s
Velocity in the y-component (vy)
-> (mT)(vy)= 1.0kg-m/s
--> (1.010kg)(vy)= (1.0kg-m/s)
---> (vy)= (1.0kg-m/s)/(1.010kg-m/s)
----> (vy)= (0.99009m/s)
*Now we can use Pythagorean to solve for the final velocity!
-> a^2 + b^2 = c^2
--> (1.485m/s)^2 + (0.99009m/s)^2 = c^2
---> 2.2055m/s + 0.9818m/s = c^2
----> 3.1871m/s = c^2
-----> c = √(3.1871m/s)
------> c = 1.785 m/s!
* Your final velocity is 1.785m/s!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- probability - Two hunters shoot at the same duck. The probability of the first ...
- physics - A duck flies south at a constant speed of 20 m/s. A man stands 30 ...
- Physics - swimming duck paddles the water with it's feet once every 1.6s, ...
- physics - while standing on an open truck moving at a velocity of 35m/s, a man ...
- science - India : Duck Australia : Duck South Africa : Duck, Goose Africa : ...
- Science help - India : Duck Australia : Duck South Africa : Duck, Goose Africa...
- Basic Physics - While standing on an open bed of a truck moving at 35 m/s, and ...
- physics - A duck is floating on water with 26% of its total volume submerged ...
- 6th grade - A duck is 17 feet below the surface of a lake. The duck begins to ...
- physics - Two toy ducks attached to each other by a string, are being pulled by ...