Posted by KiKi on Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 8:17pm.
solve using substitution
okay so then 196-42y+5y=-26
then combined like terms so
y=-6 is this part correct?
- Math- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK MY WORK? - Michael, Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 8:21pm
You are correct KiKi. y= -6
- Math- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK MY WORK? - DrBob222, Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 8:27pm
I believe that is a +6 and most would prefer that you put in another step.
7(28 - 6y) + 5y = -26, then
196 -42y + 5y = -26
-37y = -222
- Math- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK MY WORK? - Louise, Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 9:43pm
You are correct. The answer is -6.
- Math- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK MY WORK? - DrBob222, Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 11:05pm
The answer is not -6, it is +6.
Both Louise and Michael subtracted incorrectly.
7(28-6y) + 5y = -26
196-42y + 5y = -26
(-42y + 5y is -37y; therefore)
196 - 37y = -26-196 = -222
-37y= -222 and
y=(-222/-37) = +6.
Solve for x now.
x = 28-6y
x = 28-6(+6)
x = 28-36
x - -8.
Now substitute x = -8 and y = +6 into the first equation.
7x + 5y = -26
7(-8) + 5(+6) = -26
-56 + 30 = -26
-26 = -26
Substitute -6 and it won't work.
- Math- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK MY WORK? - Anonymous, Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 7:44pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - 1. √(9y - 196) + √196 = √49 My work: I squared all 3...
- HARD MATH PROBLEM (NEED HELP) - One day a person went to a hourse racing area,...
- Math Please check - The electricity meter on Donna's house read 71,236.4 kwh at ...
- Physical Science - What force is needed to give a 0.25-kg arrow an acceleration...
- math i neeeeeeed help anyone - One day, a person went to horse racing area, ...
- Math - Math Problem: Find the area of a circle that has a radius of 14 feet. ...
- Math is this right? - 5/28 divided by 1/7 = ? 5 Do I flip the second fraction ...
- Algebra - Would someone please check these answers? Simplify. 3/x-5+1/1-4/x-5 ...
- Physics - What force is needed to give a 0.25-kg arrow an acceleration of 196 m/...
- Physics - Nitrogen boils at -196°C. What is the corresponding temperature in the...