Posted by Saira on Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 5:53pm.
IN the polystyrene beaker, mix 20mL of 0.1 M Acetic acid and 25mL of 0.1M Sodium Acetate and immediately measure the pH. Remove the electrode and add 5ml of 0.1 M HCl to this buffer. Stir the solution and measure the pH.
concentration of acetic acid= 0.1M- 20ml
concentration sodium acetate= 0.1M- 25ml
concentration of hydrochloric acid- 0.1M - 5ml
Buffer solution- 4.69
Buffer + 5ml 0.1M HCL- 4.43
Buffer solution- ?????
Buffer + 5ml 0.1M HCL- ?????
1.So i have to calculate pH before the addition of HCL
2. show CALCULATIONS for calculated pH after addition of HCl
I think i use the henderson hasselbalch equation:
pH= pka+log [A-]/[HA]
pH= pka+log [0.1][0.1]
I dunt know if i plugged in the right stuff and how do i calculate pka?????
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 28, 2010 at 6:13pm
yes and no.
pH = pKa + log (base/acid)
You are right that base is acetate and acid is acetic acid.
You know pH = -log (H^+)
pKa is done the same way.
pKa = -log Ka. If you use 1.8 x 10^-5 for Ka of acetic acid, pKa = 4.74.
Let's call acetic acid HAc, sodium acetate is NaAc and acetate ion is Ac^-.
(HAc) = 0.1 M x (20 mL/45 mL) = ?? in the original solution.
(Ac^-) = 0.1 M x (25 mL/45 mL) = ?? in the original solution.
When adding HCl, the Ac^- ties it up as HAc (which ionizes only partially and that's why this is a good buffer--it won't let the HCl loose to ionize completely) so HAc increases by the amount of HCl added and the Ac^- decreases by the amount of HCl added. My advice is to work in moles or millimoles instead of concn It makes it simpler.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - I did an experiment on Buffers: In a polystyrene beaker, mix 20 ml ...
- Chemistry - I actually posted this up before and Gk helped out but i don't ...
- Chemistry - You are preparing 500 mL of a 0.300 M acetate buffer at pH 4.60 ...
- Chemistry - I have a question about buffers. Part A So it starts with 20ml 0.1 ...
- chemistry - How much of each solution will you need to mix to obtain 100 – 120 ...
- College Chemistry - A buffer solution contains 0.120M acetic acid and 0.150M ...
- chemistry - hi, i am trying to develop a lab where i find the solubility of ...
- chem - 1.Pippete 20ml of 0.1M acetic acid and 20ml of 0.1M NaOH into a 100ml ...
- school - What is the pH of 0.1 M formic acid solution? Ka=1.7„e10-4? What is the...
- chemistrybuddy - hi, i am trying to develop a lab where i find the solubility of...