Posted by sh on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 2:23am.
Determine the concavity and find the points of inflection.
y=2cosx + sin2x 0≤x≤2pi
y'=-2sinx + 2cos2x
How do I find the IP(s)?
- Calculus - Reiny, Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 9:09am
Your second derivative's last term should be -4sin2x
set y'' = 0 for points of inflection
-2cosx - 4sin2x = 0
cosx + 2sin2x = 0
cosx + 4sinxcosx = 0
cosx(1 + 4cosx) = 0
cosx = 0 or cosx = -1/4
You seem to know what you are doing, and can probably take it from here.
Concavity in short:
If for some f(x), the second derivative exists,
the curve is concave upwards if f''(x) > 0
the curve is concave downwards if f''(x) < 0
if f''(x) = 0 it is neither and you have a point of inflection as seen above.
- correction - Calculus - Reiny, Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 9:23am
from cosx + 4sinxcosx = 0
it should have been
cosx(1 + 4sinx) = 0
cosx = 0 or sinx = -1/4
- Calculus - sh, Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 10:32am
I got-4sin2x for the second term, I made a typo.
How do you translate sinx=-1/4 to decimal numbers?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- PRE - CALCULUS - Eliminate the parameter t. Find a rectangular equation for the ...
- algebra 1 help please - 4) a student score is 83 and 91 on her first two quizzes...
- calculus please help me - Let f(x)=9sinx/2sinx+4cosx. Then 'f(x)= ((2sinx+4cosx...
- check math - Here are my answers. Can you check if I got the right answers? ...
- Precalculus - Determine the solutions to the equation 2sinx − cos2x = ...
- calculus - im having so much trouble figuring out how to get these answers. i ...
- Probability - Random variables X and Y are distributed according to the joint ...
- probability - Random variables X and Y are distributed according to the joint ...
- APCalculus - For the function y=2sin(x)-cos^2(x) on [0, 2pi] find the following...
- trig - prove that (2cosx+1)(2cosx-1)= 1 +2cos2x