Posted by mary on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 at 11:31pm.
let f be the function
f(x) = x^3 + 3x^2 - x + 2
a. the tangent to the graph of f at the point P = (-2,8) intersects the graph of f again at the point Q. Find the coordinates of point Q.
b. Find the coordinates of point R, the inflection point of the graph of f
c. Show that the segment QR divides the region between the graph of f and its tangent at P into two regions whose areas are in the ratio of 16/11
- calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, March 23, 2010 at 11:54pm
let's first find the equation of the tangent at (-2,8)
(you should have checked that (-2,8) actually lies on f(x) )
f'(x) = 3x^2 + 6x - 1
at the point given
f'(-2) = 12 - 12 - 1 = -1
so y = -x + b, but (-2,8) lies on it
8 = 2 + b
b = 6
the tangent is y = -x + 6
let's now intersect that with f(x)
x^3 + 3x^2 - x + 2 = - x + 6
x^3 + 3x^2 - 4 = 0
we know that (x+2) is a factor since x = -2 was a solution
by synthetic division
x^3 + 3x^2 - 4 = (x+2)(x^2 + x - 2)
x^3 + 3x^2 - 4 = (x+2)(x+2)(x-1)
so we have a double root at x = -2 (this always happens at the tangent contact point)
and x = 1
when x = 1, y = 5
so Q must be (1,5)
b) I don't quite understand the question, but perhaps you can take it from here
- calculus - Greg, Friday, November 4, 2011 at 10:45am
Find the coordinates of all points on yhe graph of y= 1-x^2 at which the tangent line passes through the point (2,0).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - If a function f is continuous for all x and if f has a relative ...
- Calculus - 1. Given the function f defined by f(x) = x^3-x^2-4X+4 a. Find the ...
- Calculus - Functions? - #1. A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = ...
- Calculus - The function g is defined for x>0 with g(1)=2, g'(x)=sin(x+1/x), ...
- Calculus AB - Sorry but I've got a lot of problems that I don't understand. 1) ...
- calculus - Hello there, assistance would be terrific, thank you very much. ...
- calculus - 1. Which of the following expressions is the definition of the ...
- Math- calculus - Given f(x) = x ^ 3 - x ^ 2 -4x +4 Find the zeros of f. Write an...
- Calculus - find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of the function f ...
- Calculus - Given the function defined as f(x)=x^3-(3/2)x^2-6x+10 a) Explain why ...