Posted by Paula on Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:12pm.
How to factor (x/x-2)-(x+2/x)
my answer is -x^2-x-2/x
and (3+sq rt 5)*(3-sq rt 5)
my answers are either 4 or 3*sq rt 5^2
are any of these right?
Thanks so much for all of your help.
- math - Reiny, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:26pm
I have a feeling your question is
x/(x-2) - (x+2)/x
Factoring doesn't make much sense, more than likely it says "simplify", am I right?
for (3 + √5)(3 - √5)
You should recognize the 'difference of squares' patter, or you could just expand it
= 9 - 5 = 4
4 is the only answer
- math - Paula, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:32pm
Yes, you are right. It does say simplify.
- math - Reiny, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:38pm
back to x/(x-2) - (x+2)/x then
common denominator is x(x-2)
so x/(x-2) - (x+2)/x
= [x^2 - (x+2)(x-2)] / [x(x-2)]
= (x^2 - x^2 + 4)/[x(x-2)]
- math - Paula, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:41pm
I changed my answer to
x/(x-2) - (x+2)/x to 4/x(x-2)
Is that right?
- math - Paula, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 10:42pm
got it, thanks!
Answer this Question
- math - If the sides of a box all double in length, by how much does its volume ...
- maths - how do i solve this equation? there is another answer other than 0, but ...
- math,correction - Can someone correct these for me plz... Problem#6 Factor. x(x-...
- Statistics - A quiz consists of 10 multiple choice questions. Each question is ...
- Math - One solution of 12x^3-23x^2-3x+2=0 is 2. Find all other solutions. I ...
- stats - two factor ANOVA indep measures exper. 2 level factor A 3 level factor B...
- Math - if f(x) = 2x^2+4 and g(x)=x-3 which number satisfies f(x)= (f o g)(x) A) ...
- MATH/ Check? - Correct. what is pi The definition or the number? The number is 3...
- Chemistry - I Have Two Questions 1)How would you calculate the number of ...
- math - three of these puzzles have more than one answer. try to find all the ...