Posted by Sara on Monday, March 22, 2010 at 7:21pm.
Which of the following everyday activities are physical changes, and which are chemical changes?
a)salting ice on a driveway
c)mixing sand with soil
d)composting cut vegetation
e)using a glue gun
a = physical
b = chemical
c = ?
d = ?
e = chemical
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I am not sure of c and d, which is why I have not provided an answer.
Changes in Matter - DrBob222, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 8:13pm
a is right. b is right. e is wrong.
c. mixing sand with soil. What different substance was formed? None, therefore, this a physical change. Same as adding water to a glass from the faucet.
d.This can be viewed two ways. If you are talking about the composting itself (that is, the act of composting) it is a physical change. That is no different than placing the morning newspaper in a chair or throwing it in the garbage bag. But if you are talking about what happens to the compost pile AFTER all of it has been mixed up, that is a decaying reaction and that is chemical.
e.Using a glue gun means pulling the trigger of the gun. That is a physical change. Same thing as opening the faucet to pour a glass of water.
Changes in Matter - Sara, Monday, March 22, 2010 at 8:18pm
Thanks for your great explanation, I am able to understand better, thank you:-)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Changes in Matter - Which of the following kitchen activities are physical ...
- Changes in Matter - Which of the following geological changes are physical ...
- year 7 science - Chemical and physical changes. please could someone help me i ...
- Science - Physical properties used to indicate temperature changes include all ...
- Science - Are the following examples physical changes or chemical changes. ...
- Science - When you boil an egg, the egg "white" changes from clear to white. The...
- Chem Lab - Am I right? Classify the following properties of sodium metal as ...
- To: Bobpursely - You helped me with my observations yesterday, but I need help ...
- science - kendra was looking at recipes in a cookbook. she divided some of the ...
- Chemistry - Are the following physical or chemical: a. dew is dried by the sun a...