Posted by emmet on Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:19pm.
Mary has a solution that is 60% alcohol and another that is 20% alcohol. How much of each should she use to make 100 milliliters of a solution that is 52% alcohol?
- math - Reiny, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:25pm
let the volume of 60% solution used be x
then the volume of the 20% has to be 100-x
.6x +.2(100-x) = .52(100)
- math - emmet, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:30pm
where did you get 100-x???
- math - Reiny, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:38pm
If the both of us together have 100 cents, and I have x, then you have 100-x
Mary wants to end up with 100 ml
if x ml are of the 60% type, then
100-x ml must be the 40% kind.
notice (x) + (100-x) = 100
- math - emmet, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:39pm
and that doesnt answer the question, the question asks how much of each solution she should use
- math - emmet, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:40pm
its 20% not 40% percent
- math - emmet, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:42pm
if the 60% one is x, then 100-x = 100-60 which equals 40, not 20
- math - Reiny, Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:43pm
Emmet, look how I defined x.
Once you find x you have the amount of 60% solution used, plug x into 100-x and you have the 20% solution.
Do you know how to solve the equation?
(the 40% is a typo, look at my equation, I used 20%)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra HELP - mary has a solution that is 60% alcohol and another that is 20% ...
- Algebra (please help!) - Mary has a solution that is 60% alcohol and another ...
- Math - 1. In the lab, Deon has two solutions that contain alcohol and is mixing ...
- Algebra 1 - A lab technician has a 15 percent alcohol solution and a 35 percent ...
- algebra - A laboratory assistant is asked to mix a 30% alcohol solution with 21 ...
- math - A solution of alcohol and water is a% alcohol where a = 40. The solution ...
- math - in the lab, tom has two solutions that contain alcohol and is mixing them...
- math - A 5% alcohol solution is mixed with 15% alcohol solution to make a 25mlof...
- MATH - Suppose that you have a supply of a 25% solution of alcohol and a 75% ...
- Math - Solution A is 80% Alcohol and Solution B is 30% Alcohol. How many Liters ...