Posted by Ana on Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:33pm.
A 600 N uniform rectangular sign 4.00 m wide and 3.00 m high is suspended from a horizontal, 6.00-m-long, uniform, 90-N rod. The left end the rod is supported by a hinge and the right end is supported by a thin cable making a 30.0° angle with the vertical.
(a) Find the tension, T, in the cable.
(b) Find the horizontal and vertical components of force exerted on the left end of the rod by the hinge. (Take up and to the right to be the positive directions.)
horizontal component_____ N
- does the sign go to the end? - Damon, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:38pm
We need to know how far from the wall the center of mass of the sign is.
- Physics - Ana, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:41pm
It wouldn't allows me to submit picture
- Physics - Damon, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:45pm
OK, but tell me from the picture how far the middle of the sign is from the wall. Is the middle of the sign in the middle of the rod (3 meters from wall) or is it all the way out (4 meters out)
- Physics - Ana, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:47pm
sign is away from wall
- Physics - Damon, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:52pm
Ok, will assume it goes out to the end
take moments about the hinge.
T * 6 * cos 30 = 5.2 T counterclockwise
600*4 + 90*3 = 2670 clockwise
so T = 2670/5.2 = 513 Newtons tension
- Physics - Damon, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 8:58pm
forces right on rod = 0 = Fwallhorizontal - Tsin 30
So Fwall horizontal = 513/2 = 257 N
forces up on rod = Fupwall +513 cos 30
forces down on on rod = 690
Fupwall = 690 - 444 = 246 N
- Physics - Ana, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 9:02pm
It did work. thank you so much
- Physics - Damon, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 9:16pm
You are welcome.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A uniform rod is 4m long and weighs 10 kg.if it is supported on a ...
- statistics - AB ia a uniform rod of length 120 cm and weight 18kg.wt it rotates ...
- Physics - The left end of a 1-kg, 1.0 m long uniform thin rod is attached to a ...
- physics - a uniform rod 100cm long and weighing 50N is supported in a horizontal...
- Physics - One end of a uniform 3.20-m-long rod of weight Fg is supported by a ...
- physics - A uniform, 264-N rod that is 2.05 m long carries a 225-N weight at its...
- Physics - A uniform, 274-N rod that is 2.05m long carries a 225-N weight at its ...
- College Physics - A rod of mass 4.3 kg and length 4.3 m hangs from a hinge as ...
- physics - A uniform 1.3-kg rod that is 0.80 m long is suspended at rest from the...
- physics - One end of a uniform 4.0-m long rod of weight is supported by a cable...