Posted by john 2020 on Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 11:16pm.
use the given info. to find the exact value of the trig function.
csc u=-6/5, tan u is greater than 0
Find cos u/2
- precal - Reiny, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 11:58pm
csc u = -6/5
sinu = -5/6
by Pythagoras, and knowing sin u is negative and tan u is positive
cosu = -√11/6
we know cosA = 1 - 2cos^2(A/2)
cosu = 1 - 2cos^2(u/2)
-√11/6 = 1 - 2cos^2(u/2)
2cos^2(u/2) = 1 + √11/6)
cos u/2 = √[(1 + √11/6)/2]
check my arithmetic,
- precal - john 2020, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 12:03am
can u simplify the answer any more?????
- Correction - precal - Reiny, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 12:15am
I had the formula backwards, ...
Should have been
cos A = 2cos^2(A/2) - 1
cos u = 2cos^2 (u/2) - 1
-√11/6 + 1 = 2cos^2 (u/2)
-√[1 - √11/6)/2] = cos (u/2)
I picked the negative value, since we knew u was in III, so u/2 was in II, and in II the cosine is negative.
Since you wanted the "exact" value, there is no point simplifying the above answer.
- precal - john 2020, Friday, March 19, 2010 at 12:17am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Alg2/Trig - Find the exact value of the trigonometric function given that sin u...
- trig - FInd the exact value pf the 6 trig function of alpha Given: point (-2,-6...
- Trig - 1. Establish the identity: sin(theta+3pi/2)=-cos(theta) 2. Find the exact...
- Trig - Find the exact value of the trigonometric function given that sin u=3/5 ...
- precal - find the exact value of the expression: csc (tan^-1 ã3/3)
- trig help much appreciated! :)) - 1. Find the complete exact solution of sin x...
- Trig - Given that tan θ = - (√3/8) and θ is in QII, find the ...
- trig - find the exact value of each expression. do not use a calculator. Sec 3....
- Math- Trig - 1. Determine the exact value of cos^-1 (pi/2). Give number and ...
- trig - find the exact value for each function tan pi/3 cos pi/4