Posted by Daqa on Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:19pm.
When 0.250 mol of CH4(g) reacts with excess Cl2(g) at constant pressure according to the chemical equation shown below, 177 kJ of heat are released. Calculate the value of Delta H for this reaction, as written.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:22pm
If 1/4 mole releases 177 kJ, then 1 mole will release 4x that and 2 moles will release 8x that. Check my thinking.
- Chemistry - Daqa, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:27pm
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:32pm
I get 1416 kJ. If you rounded your answer because of significant figures, showing it as 1420 won't do it. Most texts recommend writing it as 1.42 x 10^3 kJ.
- Chemistry - Daqa, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:43pm
hhmm would it be 4x that amount and not 8? im confused
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:48pm
moles = grams/molar mass
0.25 = g/16 and grams = 0.25 x 16 = 4 grams.
The equation as written is 2 moles CH4 so that is 16 x 2 = 32 grams.
177 kJ (for the reaction for the 4 grams) x (32/4) = ??
- Chemistry - Daqa, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:51pm
i guess the teacher put a bad answer bank none of the answer are 1416 but i get what you are saying i will bring this up to him thanx
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 9:35pm
Try 1.42 x 10^3 kJ and let me know.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - For the reaction described by the chemical equation: 3C2H2(g) -> ...
- chemistry - CH3OH(g) ----> CO(g) + 2H2 (g) (delta H =+90.7k) A) is heat ...
- Chemistry - 1.00 g of sodium is added to a large excess of water under ...
- Chemistry - Suppose that 0.650 mol of methane, CH4(g), is reacted with 0.800 mol...
- Chemistry - The equilibrium constant Kc for the following reaction is equal to 0...
- College Chem - 4. Write the balanced equation for CH4+Cl2„_CH2Cl2+HCl6. For the ...
- Chemistry - The overall reaction in a commercial heat pack can be represented as...
- Chemistry - drwls, if you are there, I got an answer of 42.5 Kelvin, so then ...
- Science - Consider the following reaction: 2Na + Cl2 2NaCl ΔH = -...
- Chemistry - One reaction of iron with hydrochloric acid is represented by the ...