Posted by Trixie on Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 9:01pm.
100 mL of each of the following solutions is mixed; which one of the mixed solutions is a buffer?
A) 1.0 M NH3(aq) + 0.6 M KOH(aq)
B) 1.0 M NH4Cl(aq) + 1.0 M KOH(aq)
C) 1.0 M NH3(aq) + 0.4 M HCl(aq)
D) 1.0 M NH4Cl(aq) + 0.4 M HCl(aq)
E) 1.0 M NH3(aq) + 1.0 M HCl(aq)
I am unsure how to start this problem?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 9:17pm
Look at C.
NH3 + HCl ==> NH4Cl + H2O
NH3 = 1.0 M x 100 mL (0.1 L) = 0.1 mole
HCl = 0.4 M x 100 mL (0.1 L) = 0.04 mole
NH4Cl and water = 0
Since this is an acid base system and since HCl is a strong acid, it will react completely.
NH4Cl = 0.0.04
HCl = 0 (all of the 0.04 is used).
NH3 = 0.1-0.04 = 0.06 remaining, so what do we have?
We have a weak base (NH3) and its salt (NH4Cl). Do any of the others produce anything like that?
You can determine the concns if you wish from concn = moles/L and the final volume is 200 mL or 0.2 L.
Check my arithmetic. Sometimes I slip a decimal point when going between moles and molarity mostly because I do these in my head and work with millimoles and not moles.
Answer this Question
- chem - Which of the following pairs of substances, when mixed in any proportion ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following mixtures will result in the formation of a ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following result in buffered solutions when equal ...
- chemistry - •Which of the following solutions will be the best buffer at a pH of...
- Chemistry - how do I find the pH of a buffer solution given that 0.010M NH3 ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following mixtures would result in buffered solutions ...
- Chemistry - If there were two solutions- one with areagent(100% pure) mixed in ...
- Biochemistry - In one glass - 100,0 mL 0,100M KOH solution, in other - 100,mL 0,...
- Chemistry - Calculate the pH after 0.010 mol gaseous HCl is added to 250.0 mL of...
- Chemistry - A buffer solution is prepared by mixing 50.0 mL of 0.300 M NH3 with ...