Posted by Jane on Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 1:07pm.
Two current carrying wires cross at right angles (like a + sign).
Wire 1 has current directed horizontally to the left. Wire 2 has current directed vertically up.
If the wires are not restrained, what statement best describes the motion of the wires?
A) Wire 1 moves out of the page; Wire 2 moves into the page
B) Wire 1 rotates clockwise; Wire 2 rotates counterclockwise
C) Wire 1 rotates counterclockwise; Wire 2 rotates clockwise
D) Wire 1 moves up; Wire 2 moves to the left
E) Wire 1 moves down; Wire 2 moves to the right
Physics - bobpursley, Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 1:31pm
The wires will rotate until the magnetic fields are in the same direction.
Physics - Jane, Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 2:46pm
I am still confused as to which direction the wires will rotate.
Using the right hand rule, I found that the magnetic field of both wires will rotate counterclockwise (if you look from above and from the left side).
Physics - Jane, Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 6:16pm
Nevermind I figured it out thanks.
Physics - mm., Monday, March 15, 2010 at 5:11pm
i don't get it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Two current carrying wires cross at right angles as indicated in the ...
- physics - Two very long, straight, parallel wires carry currents that are ...
- Physics - What is the direction of the net magnetic field at the point? I'll ...
- Physics II - two perpendicular, long, straight wires, both of which lie in the ...
- Physics - (the drawing is of a square with each side equaling L and the ...
- Physics || - Q.1. Two wires each of length 40 m and diameter 2.6 mm, are ...
- physics - Consider two current carrying wires shown below. The current in the ...
- Physics - Two long parallel wires separated by a distance, d, carry currents in ...
- Physics - Two parallel wires both carry currents directed from left to right .A ...
- physics - Two parallel wires both carry currents directed from left to right .A ...