Posted by ananoumous on Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 3:54am.
• Emerson Electric common stock that is selling for $80 with a par value of $5. This stock recently paid a $2.10 dividend, and the firm’s earnings per share have increased from $2.40 to $4.48 in the past 5 years. An equivalent amount of growth in the dividend is expected.
The required rate of return for the stock is 15%
value of common stock - drwls, Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 7:18am
The current annual dividend amounts to a 2.10/80 = 2.63% yield
The earnings growth at a rate of a factor of
4.48/2.40 = 1.8667 = (1+r)^5
amounts to appreciation in value at an annual rate given by
(1/5)ln(1+r) = ln 1.8667
r = 13.30%
The total return is 15.93%
The stock is fairly valued at $80 if a return of 15% is required
value of common stock - bobpursley, Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 9:07am
I personally would factor in risk as part of the return. For a stock which has an earnings growth of 13.3 percent, future competition and other factors surely presents a risk.
value of common stock - drwls, Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 11:46am
I failed to include the value of retained earnings, currently 5.6% of market price. (P/E ratio = 17.9; forward P/E = 15.8) This makes the stock somewhat attractive, but no great bargain, at $80. If one can believe the earnings trend will continue, it is fairly valued by historic P/E standards.
BobPursley is quite right however. Past performance is no guarantee of anything. Assessing risk is a very important part of investing.
They may want you to use some Benjamin Graham formula for Stock Valuation. I am no expert in that.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- stocks - • Emerson Electric common stock that is selling for $80 with a par ...
- Finance - Emerson Electric common stock is selling for $36.75. par value is $5. ...
- math - You have finally saved 10,000 and are ready to make your first investment...
- finance - You have finally saved 10,000 and are ready to make your first ...
- accounting - Pearson began 20XX with 30,000 $1 common shares issued and ...
- ACC291 - The following stockholders' equity accounts arranged alphabetically are...
- accounting - Jones Company is authorized to issue 20,000 shares of no-par, $5 ...
- financial accounting - (5) Chapter 13 Problem The Torre Company has the ...
- fin 370 - (individual or component costs of capital)Compute the cost of the ...
- accounts - A prospective investor has hired you to develop a worksheet that will...