Posted by Stuck on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 8:36pm.
"Colbalt-60 is a radioactive isotope used to treat cancers of the brain and other tissues. A gamma ray emitted by an atom of this isotope has an energy of 1.33 MeV (million electron volts; 1 eV = 1.602*10^-19 J). What is the frequency (in Hz) and wavelength (in m) of this gamma ray?"
I just want to make sure I got the frequency right.
Chemistry/Physics - DrBob222, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 8:46pm
Why didn't you post your work? That way we could tell you if you worked it right or not AND you would spend your time typing instead of us.
E =h*c/wavelength. Find wavelength.
c = freq * wavelength. Solve for freqency.
Chemistry/Physics - Stuck, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 10:15pm
Oh right, sorry about that.
I used E=hf (f=E/h).
So I got E as 2.13*10^-13 J by...(1.33*10^6)(1.602*10^-19).
Using the formula, I got frequency as 3.22*10^20.
I think I've taken a different approach as what you have suggested.
Chemistry/Physics - DrBob222, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 11:30pm
Your method is a little shorter than mine. I arrive at the same answer for frequency. I assume you know the problem also asked for wavelength and that is
c = frequency x wavelength for which I obtained 9+ x 10^-13 meters. Thanks for showing your work.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Cobalt-60 is a radioactive isotope used to treat cancers. A gamma ...
- chemistry - Cobalt-60 is radioactive isotope used to treat cancers. A gamma ray ...
- Physics - Please help me with this problem. The standard source for radiation ...
- chem - Consider the isotope arsenic-76 How many protons are in an atom of this ...
- Physics 30 - A radioactive isotope(h=4.5days) was prepared. This isotope was ...
- Chemistry - If a 100.0 gram sample of a radioactive isotope goes through three ...
- chemistry - A nitrogen atom has 7 protons, and its most common isotope has 7 ...
- College Geology - assume that a particular radioactive-isotope has a half-life ...
- The Binding Energy of Electrons? - An X-ray photon of wavelength 0.954 nm ...
- chemistry - alum 27 bombarded with neutron, gamma emitted. What is isotope?