Posted by Renee on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:10am.
How do you find the function to a problem quickly?
For example: A tennis club holds a doubles tournament every spring. This year the club has 40 teams involved. At the end of each round half of the teams are eliminated. How many rounds must be played to determine the winner?
So, I already found the answer (6 rounds). How do I find its function or equation to solve?
- Algebra - scott, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:15am
wouldn't it just be 40^1/2 that's 6.32 so 6 rounds
- Algebra - Renee, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:21am
The table is like this
x=Number of the round
y=Teams in the round
6 1.25 -> 1
How do I find the function or equation using variables x and y?
(To find the function more faster because, I have 3 other problems like this and I want to try to do the others on my own.)
- Algebra - scott, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:23am
Well This is what I did to get 40^.5 you know the amount Y and then you already know the function X its Y^x.
that's what I just went over today in class
- Algebra - drwls, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:24am
The number of rounds is the smallest integer n that satisfies
N*(1/2)^n = 1
where N is the number of teams.
for n = 5, 40*(1/2)^5 = 1.25
for n = 6, 40*(1/2)^6 = 0.625
So n is the answer.
It has nothing to do with square roots, as the previous answer suggests.
- Algebra - Renee, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:27am
- Algebra - drwls, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:29am
n=6 rounds are needed, including the championship. With 40 teams, there can be a lot of "byes" in early rounds. Up to 64 teams could be included in a 6-round tournament.
- Algebra - Renee, Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 1:31am
Also how did u find its function easily? Everytime I try to find the function it takes me a super long smount of time.
- Algebra - rachaekl, Monday, April 8, 2013 at 11:05am
what is the surface area of a rectangular prism with a base area 15m2, height 3m, and lateral area 18m2?? This is my question !!! PLEAS ANSWER
Answer this Question
- English - the video media yp club the print media yp club the information ...
- English - the RCY 1 club the RCY 2 club the RcY 3 club the yc gag club the ...
- English - Posted by rfvv on Monday, March 22, 2010 at 3:48am. the video media yp...
- English - What club are you in? I am in the broadcasting club. the dance club ...
- Algebra Grade 7 - The eight members of the Ping Pong Paddlers Club have a ...
- algebra 2 - Ralph, Mario, Jack, Laura, and Maria are in the math club. The club...
- math - one out of every 4 students in a club is a girl.There are 20 students in ...
- English - 1. Which club do you go to? I go to a quilt club. 2. Which club do you...
- English - 1. I am in the mountain climbing club. We learn how to climb a ...
- Met 181 - Joe and Peter have 360 day membership to a tennis club. Joe will use ...