Posted by Mike on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 4:09am.
A solution containing 7.00grm of lead nitrate is combined with a solution containing 7.00g of sodium sulfate.
(a) write a balance equation for the reaction. Pb(no3)2 aq + NaSo4 aq ---> PbSo4 +2 NaNo3. I think that's right.
(b)How many moles of the the product are formed? Is the product PbSo4 , 2NaNo3 or both?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 1:04pm
Pb(no3)2 aq + NaSo4 aq ---> PbSo4 +2 NaNo3. I think that's right.
except that o is oxygen. n isn't nitrogen. Sodium sulfate is Na2SO4.
1. Convert 7.00 g Pb(NO3)2 to moles. moles = grams/molar mass.
2. Convert 7.00 g Na2SO4 to moles. Same procedure.
3a. Using the coefficients in the balanced equation, convert moles Pb(NO3)2 to moles PbSO4.
3b. Same procedure, convert moles Na2SO4 to moles PbSO4.
3c. Likely, the answers from 3a and 3b will be different which means one of them is wrong. The correct moles PbSO4 formed is ALWAYS the smaller value.
4. The question doesn't ask for grams PbSO4, but you can convert the smaller value in 3c to grams. g = moles x molar mass.
The ppt is PbSO4 because it is insoluble. NaNO3 is soluble and if filtered can be separated from the solid PbSO4.
Chemistry - Mike, Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 7:08pm
Thank you so much you genius!!!!
Chemistry - Mike, Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 7:47pm
Sorry, Maybe this is so simple its confusing me. Converting Pb(No3)2 to PbSo4 and Na2So4 to Pbso4 using the coefficients. Would it be 1 to 1?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - You are tasked with preparing a 500mL nutrient solution containing ...
- Chemistry - If a solution containing 52.044 g of mercury(II) chlorate is allowed...
- science - write balanced equation showing the reaction occurs when lead is added...
- chemistry - In the following reaction, how many grams of lead(II) nitrate Pb(NO3...
- Chemistry! URGENT! - Calculate the solubility, in molL―1, of lead sulfate...
- Chemistry - Write a molecular equation for the precipitation reaction that ...
- College Chemistry - If current is passed in an electrolytic cell containing ...
- chemistry - #2) Consider the preciditation reaction of a solution containing 3....
- Chem - Solutions of sodium carbonate and silver nitrate react to form solid ...
- Chemistry - If you could me solve ths is anyway, it would be much appreciated. A...