Posted by irma on Monday, March 8, 2010 at 11:30pm.
A farmer with 3000 feet wants to enclose a rectangular plot that borders on a straight highway. If the farmer does not fence the side along the highway, what is the largest area that can be enclosed?
- intermediate algebra - drwls, Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 8:41am
Let x be the side length parallel to the highway. The side lengths perpendicular to the highway must be
(1/2) (3000 -x)
The area is
A = (x/2)*(3000-x) = 3000x -x^2/2
When there is a maximum,
dA/dx = 0 = 3000 - 2x
x = 1500 feet
I used calculus but you can try completeing the square or try various values of x until you get a maximum area.
The enclosed area will be 1500 x 750 = 1,125,000 ft^2
- intermediate algebra - joe, Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 9:11pm
where did you get the 750? I have a similar problem here:
a farmer wants to build a rectangular pen using a side of a barn and 60ft of fence. find the dimensions and area of the largest such pen
- intermediate algebra - prince, Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 9:36am
Let l = measure of the parallel side of the highway in meters
w = measure of the perpendicular side of the highway in meters
l + w = 3000
l = 3000 - w
length = 3000 - w
width = w
**since we will only use 1 side of the length, we will use:
A= [(3000-w)/2]w 0r w[(3000-w)/2]
= -(w^2)/2 + 1500w
**complete the square
= -1/2 (w^2 - 3000w + 225,000) + 1,125,000
= -1/2 (w-1500)^2 + 1,125,000
A max.= 1,125,000
dimensions: 1500 x 750
Answer this Question
- intermediate algebra - A farmer with 3000 feet of fencing wants to enclose a ...
- math - A farmer with 2000 meters of fencing wants to enclose a rectangular plot ...
- math - A rancher with 7000 yds of fencing wants to enclose a rectangular field ...
- Math - A farmer with 8000 meters of fencing wants to enclose a rectangular plot ...
- Math - A farmer has 2,400 feet of fencing and wants to fence off a rectangular ...
- algebra2 - A farmer has 600 yards of fence. He will use some of the fence to ...
- Algebra - You have 600 feet of fencing to enclose a rectangular plot that ...
- College Algebra - You have 800 feet of fencing to enclose a rectangular plot ...
- Pre calc - A farmer with 2000 meters of fencing wants to enclose a rectangular ...
- algebra - A farmer decides to enclose a rectangular garden, using the side of a ...