Posted by Anoymous on Monday, March 8, 2010 at 7:07pm.
On January 1, 2009, Sweetwater Furniture Company leased office space under a 21-year operating lease agreement. The contract calls for annual rent payments on December 31 of each year. The payments are $11,000 the first year and increase by $600 per year. Benefits expected from using the office space are expected to remain constant over the lease term.
Record Sweetwater's rent payment at December 31, 2013 (the fifth rent payment) and December 31, 2023 (the 15th rent payment).
I figured out for the 5th and 15th rental payment you would:
dr. Rent Expense
cr. Deferred Rent Expense Payable
But I cannot figure out what amount the rent expense and cash would be on each of these payments. Can someone help me?
- Accounting - H, Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 8:11pm
I know this is late, but its mostly to those that will get this problem at some point. You are right about the journals. To find the Rent expense, you need to add ALL payments (11,000+11,600+12,200+12,800+...+23,000) then divide by 21 (the term of the lease)
To find Cash, multiply 600*4=2,400 then add the 10,000 of the first year. With this you should be able to find Deferred Rent Expense Payable. Hope you understand, sorry if I don't write all details, but I'm working on my hw
- Accounting - S, Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 12:29pm
Thank you for the answer!
Cash should be (600*4)+11000 not "10,000"
I got rent expense without dividing by the term, so that's the total off all payments considering the annual increase.
Defferred Rent Expense = Rent expense - Cash
- Accounting - S, Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 12:52pm
Sorry, for the mistake I made in the above post, here is the solution. Hope my calculation is correct but this is the right formula that needs to be used. The JE for 2013 mentioned above is correct; however for 2023 the JE should be:
Dr. Rent Expense
Dr. Defferred Rent Expense Payable
December 31, 2013:
Rent expense ($11,000 + [$600 × 20 ÷ 2])* = $17,000
Cash ($11,000 + [$600 × 4]) = $13,400
December 31, 2023:
Rent expense ($11,000 + [$600 × 20 ÷ 2]) * = $17000
Cash ($11,000 + [$600 × 14]) = $19,400
* This is the average rent over the 20-year period. Also: (Beg. Rent $8,500 + Ending Rent $20,500) ÷ 2
Answer this Question
- accouting - Horton Company, as lessee, enters into a lease agreement on July 1, ...
- Intermediate Accounting - Python Company leased equipment from Hope Leasing on ...
- Accounting - 1. The price of a bond is equal to the sum of the interest payments...
- Accounting - I am given several hypothetical amounts and interest rates and need...
- Accounting - On June 30, 2011, Georgia-Atlantic, Inc., leased a warehouse ...
- accounting - Can someone check my answers. A car dealership gives customers the ...
- flordia - XYZ Manufacturing, Inc., located in Centervale, uses the calendar year...
- Accounting - A company leases a piece of equipment to another company and ...
- economics - I tried answering b, but stuck with a. Can someone please take a ...
- accounting - ● Case 13-4 Application of SFAC No. 13 On January 1, 2006, ...