Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 9:46pm.
Point P(a,b) is on the curve
square root of x + square root of y =1.
Show that the slope of the tangent at P is : - square root of (b/a).
- calculus - Reiny, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 11:13pm
√x + √y = 1 or
x^(1/2) + y^(1/2) = 1
(1/2)x^(-1/2) + (1/2)y^(-1/2)dy/dx = 0
dy/dx = -x^(-1/2)/y^(-1/2)
= - y^(1/2)/x^(1/2)
= - √y/√x
= - √(y/x)
so at the point (a,b)
dy/dx = - √(b/a)
- implicit differentiation - MathMate, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 11:14pm
√x + √y = 1
Apply implicit differentiation:
1/(2√x) + 1/(2√y)*(dy/dx) = 0
Transposing and solving for dy/dx:
dy/dx = -√(y/x)
- calculus - Im, Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 2:15am
Find dy/dx by implicit differentiation
Answer this Question
- calculus - Point P(a,b) is on the curve square root of x + square root of y =1. ...
- Math simplifying mixed radicals - Please help me simplify these following mixed ...
- Math simplifying mixed radicals - Please help me simplify these following mixed...
- Algebra - Rationalize each expression by building perfect nth root factors for ...
- college pre-calculus - simplify: square root (4/3)-square root (3/4) A. 2-...
- Math ~CHECK MY ANSWER~ - 1) Which of these is a rational number? a. Pi b. Square...
- Math - Just need some help... Directions: Multiply or raise to the power as ...
- Algebra - Use the quadratic formula to solve the equation. Give exact answers: ...
- Math Help! - Which two square roots are used to estimate square root 67? A. ...
- 7th grade math Ms. Sue please - 2. Shelly sews a blanket that has an area of 170...