Posted by sh on Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 3:25pm.
In an experiment, a student mixes equal volumes of 0.0020M Pb 2+ ions with 0.0040M I- ions. The trial ion product is?
PbI2 <-> Pb 2+ + 2I-
How do you determine the final concentration of Pb 2+ and I-?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 3:43pm
I look at it this way.
Assume we add 100 mL of each.
So we add 0.2 millimole Pb^+ to 0.4 millimole I^- which is the exact ratios for PbI2 to be pptd with no excess of either reagent. Therefore, the final concn of Pb^+ and I^- depends upon the Ksp.
Set up Ksp and solve for solubility PbI2.
- Chemistry - sh, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 4:08pm
The question asks for the ksp, so don't I try to find the final concentration first? How do you take 100mL of each molar concentration?
- Chemistry - sh, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 4:35pm
Final [Pb 2+]=0.0020M x (100ml/200ml)=0.0010M Pb 2+
Final [I-]=0.0040M x (100ml/200mL)=0.0020M I-
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 7:26pm
No. Excuse me. I misread the question. The question asks for the trial ion product. That is NOT Ksp, at least not in my book. Some books refer to this as Qsp. That is (Pb^+2)(I^-)^2 = ??
(0.002)(0.004)^2 = ??
The idea here is to see if Qsp exceeds Ksp. If it does, then PbI2 will ppt, it not, it will not ppt.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Consider the following reaction: PbCl2 + 2 NaOH -> Pb(OH)2 + 2 ...
- Chemistry - When asked to name all of the ions and molecules present in a 0.1 ...
- chemistry - Write the formula of the ionic compound that forms between a. copper...
- Ions, Ions - ION // H+ IONS OUTSIDE THE CELL // 2,000 IONS INSIDE THE CELL // 10...
- Chemistry - In the experiment shown below, you add some salt to water. A = All ...
- Chemistry - What is the formula for the ions in the compounds BaSO4 and Li2CO3 ...
- Intro Chemistry - If a sample of BaSO3 is found to contain 1.73 · 1018 SO32- ...
- Chemistry - Sea water conducts electricity. Which statements give the best ...
- Biology/Embryology - An ion pump: A. requires hydrolysis of ATP to move ions B. ...
- chemistry - How are phosphate ions different from sulfate ions regarding ...