Posted by sh on Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 3:25pm.
In an experiment, a student mixes equal volumes of 0.0020M Pb 2+ ions with 0.0040M I- ions. The trial ion product is?
PbI2 <-> Pb 2+ + 2I-
How do you determine the final concentration of Pb 2+ and I-?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 3:43pm
I look at it this way.
Assume we add 100 mL of each.
So we add 0.2 millimole Pb^+ to 0.4 millimole I^- which is the exact ratios for PbI2 to be pptd with no excess of either reagent. Therefore, the final concn of Pb^+ and I^- depends upon the Ksp.
Set up Ksp and solve for solubility PbI2.
Chemistry - sh, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 4:08pm
The question asks for the ksp, so don't I try to find the final concentration first? How do you take 100mL of each molar concentration?
Chemistry - sh, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 4:35pm
Final [Pb 2+]=0.0020M x (100ml/200ml)=0.0010M Pb 2+
Final [I-]=0.0040M x (100ml/200mL)=0.0020M I-
Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 7:26pm
No. Excuse me. I misread the question. The question asks for the trial ion product. That is NOT Ksp, at least not in my book. Some books refer to this as Qsp. That is (Pb^+2)(I^-)^2 = ??
(0.002)(0.004)^2 = ??
The idea here is to see if Qsp exceeds Ksp. If it does, then PbI2 will ppt, it not, it will not ppt.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science AP Chemistry - It is necessary to add iodide ions to precipitate the ...
- Chemistry - In the experiment shown below, you add some salt to water. A = All ...
- chemistry - The cell shown above is a concentration cell. Both cells contain a ...
- Chemistry - When HCl(aq) is exactly neutralized by NaOH(aq), the hydrogen ion ...
- Chemistry - Equal volumes of 1 M BaCl2 and 1 M NaSO4 are mixed. What effect will...
- AP Chemistry - Consider the following reaction: PbCl2 + 2 NaOH → Pb(OH)2...
- Chemistry - Consider the following reaction: PbCl2 + 2 NaOH -> Pb(OH)2 + 2 ...
- Chemistry - When asked to name all of the ions and molecules present in a 0.1 ...
- chemistry - Write the formula of the ionic compound that forms between a. copper...
- Chemistry - What is the concentration of NO3- ions when equal volumes of 0.1M ...