Posted by Dellaine on Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 7:16am.
who won the war of 1812? Support your ANSWER!
- social studies - drwls, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 8:24am
A good question. The war's most decisive US victory (The Battle of New Orleans)was fought after the peace treaty was signed at Ghent, but Britain captured a fort after that, anyway. Britain wanted to teach the US a lesson after we threatened to (and did) invade Britain's Canadian territory, and they succeeded. They captured Washington DC and burned down the White House. Sounds like a good case that the US lost.
Canadians celebrated the end of the war as a victory because their invasion never happened, but they did lose control of portions of land to Britain south of Lake Superior that they hoped to control. Britain's main goal was to prevent the US from aiding France during the War with Napoleon. After Napoleon was defeated, they no longer had that worry, and they lost interest. Both sides were glad to end the war.
You be the judge.
- social studies (correction) - drwls, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 10:43am
I meant to write:
..but British Canada did lose control of disputed land south of Lake Superior that they had hoped to control.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Social Studies - 1.How did their dependence on British trade affect the opinions...
- Social Studies - In what year did the War of 1812 start? 1812, right? Cause when...
- Social Studies - What Happen durring the War 1812 who won the war??? Did the ...
- Social Studies - What was the main cause of the War of 1812?
- social studies - What year did the War of 1812 occur?
- Social Studies - What was the first battle from the war of 1812?
- social studies - What did the United States gain from the War of 1812?
- social studies - what battle was the turning point in the war of 1812?
- social studies - In war 0f 1812... Describe the destruction of Washington D.C...
- social studies - Name the battle fought after the War of 1812?