Posted by Franco on Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 6:32am.
Thank you for your last corrections!
Can you check following sentences, too please?
1) The narrator may be internal to the story, that is a character in the story, either the protagonist or a witness. It (?) may also be a voice outside the story, who tells events he has not taken part in. (Why is it correct to use "it")
2) A simile is a comparison between two dissimilar things using connective words (is "through" the use of connective words possible?)
3) The Roman conquest dates back to 47 AD and (took place?) under Emperor Claudius (can you say under the Empire of Claudius?)
4) After a first invasion by Julius Caesar the Romans took possession of the southern part of the island.
5)They controlled the island by force (and not "by the army"?)
6) He retreated his soldiers to defend Rome from a Barbarian attack. (can you say "to face up to a Barbarian attack on Rome?")
English - Writeacher, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 8:42am
#1 -- I'd use "He" rather than "It" since a narrator is almost always a person and you have used "he" later in the sentence.
#2 -- Using "through" is not correct. Your original sentence is fine as it is.
#3 -- Use "occurred" instead of "took place" and delete everything in parentheses.
#4 -- Comma after "Caesar"
#5 -- Delete the wording in parentheses.
#6 -- He and his soldiers returned to defend Rome...
English - GuruBlue, Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 8:44am
Because a narrator is NOT an "it" You may say - The story may also be told by a voice outside,,,,,,
3. 47 AD during the rule of..
5. by force would be correct.
6. to face up to - is awkward.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Thank you very much for your corrections. Here are some more sentences...
- English - Thank you!! Could you check the things I wrote on the different kinds ...
- English - Can you check the grammar in the following sentences, please? 1)The ...
- English - Thank you very much indeed for your last corrections!! I still need ...
- English - Thank you very much for your suggestions. Here are some more sentences...
- English - I have a few last doubts. Thank yo very much for your corrections. 1)...
- English - Identify the main conflict from "the fall from the house of usher " ...
- English - Thank you very much. Could you help me check these sentences, too? 1) ...
- English - Identify the protagonist from Henry James "Europe" . I was thinking ...
- English - Check to see if I am answering this right? I had to pick a story and ...