Posted by Aubrey on Friday, March 5, 2010 at 7:22pm.
What is the tone and theme of Maya Angelou's poem "Still I Rise"?
- poetry - bobpursley, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 7:26pm
Theme. Strength of black women, or belief in oneself.
Tone. Hope? Pride?
What do you think?
- poetry - Ms. Sue, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 7:28pm
Both the tone and the theme are summed up in her last lines:
"I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise. "
What do you think? I'll be glad to discuss it with you if I know your thoughts first.
- poetry - Aubrey, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 8:40pm
" I am the dream and the hope of the slave." Refers to the woman the speaker has become (powerful and confident) which African American slaves aimed to obtain after all the inequalities and discrimination they experienced.
So theme = In a society that limits one's self-worth, with perseverance, one can overcome and triumph.
Am I on the right path...?
- poetry - Ms. Sue, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 8:50pm
I think it also refers to the attitudes of some slaves even before they were emancipated. Angelou says that in a way slaves (or at least some slaves) were thumbing their noses at their masters behind their backs. She says that no one could keep their spirits down.
- poetry - Aubrey, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 8:58pm
Would you agree "Still I Rise" also has autobiographical undertones such as Angelou's rape? Could "Does my sassiness upset you?: (5) and "Does my sexiness upset you?" (25) express her finally finding confidence in her sexuality/ sensuality (because she felt guilty in her own rape for so long)?
- poetry - Ms. Sue, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 9:01pm
I'm sure you're right.
- poetry - Aubrey, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 9:04pm
- poetry - Ms. Sue, Friday, March 5, 2010 at 9:15pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- poetry - what is the theme in the poem phenomenal women by maya angelou
- English - Maya Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings What Maya Angelou means...
- English - 1. How is paraphrasing different from summarizing? A.) Paraphrasing ...
- Poetry - “Sonnet 30” p. 960 Author: William Shakespeare. Type of Poem: Sonnet. ...
- English - What does the poem "America" by Maya Angelou really mean.? What is ...
- Fixed Critical analysis essay - In "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou, the ...
- English -poem - Caged bird, by maya angelou -analyze this poem for is ...
- Proofread my Critical Analyis essay - My critical Analysis essay is over the ...
- English - Is there euphony, cacophony, onomatopoeia in the poem Phenomenal Woman...
- quick question on a poem - Can someone give me a short summary on Phenomenal ...