Posted by John on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at 5:32pm.
I'm looking at my notes and I can't seem to figure how my teacher did this problem. She used her name which has 9 letters, 3 vowels, and 6 consonants. If we were to reach in the bag and grab 3 letters out. By using the probability distribution what's the probability of getting 0, 1, 2, and 3 vowels. I know how to do the probability of 0 vowel. For 1 vowel she did (3/9*6/8*5/7)3 how did she get 6/8 and 5/7. For 2 vowels she did (3/9*2/8*6/7)3 same here where did the 2/8 and 6/7 come from. Then for 3 vowels she had 1 minus everything.
Statistics - Reiny, Wednesday, March 3, 2010 at 6:09pm
I will do the 2 vowels for you
since she grabbed 3 letters it could have been
VVC, VCV, or CVV
look at the first, the VVC
there are 3 vowels out of 9 prob (first a vowel) = 3/9
so now there are 8 letters left, 2 of them vowels
prob (second a vowel) = 2/8
so now the third letter must be a consonant, and there are 7 letters left, 6 of them consonants.
Prob(third is a consonant) = 6/7
Prob(first a vowel, 2nd a vowel, third a cons) = 3/9 x 2/8 x 6/7
now can you see how she would get the VCV of
3/9 x 6/8 x 2/7 setup ?
and for the CVV it would be 6/9 x 3/8 x 2/7
did you notice that the numerators are simply
2x3x6 and the denominators are 9x8x7 just in different order?
Does it matter what order you do multiplication?
so the prob would be
Now see if you reason out the others in the same way.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - ASAP ASAP if my name is Frances 1.What fraction of the letters in my name...
- Maths - how many words consisting of 5 consonants and 3 vowels be formed out of ...
- math - I hope i am on the right track. Please look at my answer so I am doing ...
- english - what is a consonant Consonant = not a vowel. The vowels are a, e, i, o...
- algebra1 solutions help - Yikes! Help please. In a word game, you choose a tile ...
- maths-probability - From the word HINDUSTAN ===== (a) In how many of these ...
- probaility.....plse help me..... - From the word HINDUSTAN ===== (a) In how many...
- Geometry - To name each figure below, use as many of the letters A, B, C,...as ...
- Data Management Grade 12 - How many different five-letter words can be formed ...
- English - [j], [w] : phonetic symbols Are both consonants or vowels? They are ...