Posted by Mia on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 1:04pm.
Can you please help solve this equation using the substitution method? I have tried and keep getting that X and Y = 7/2, but the answer in the book states no solution, inconsistent system. What am I doing wrong? Please help! Solve the systems of equations by the substitution method.
- Linear Equations - Reiny, Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 4:14pm
Here is why there is no solution ...
multiply the first equation by -1
x - y = -4
subtract the second equation ...
0 = -7 >>>> CONTRADICTION! So, no solution.
first equation: y = x+4
sub into second
x-y = 3
x - (x+4) = 3
0 = 7, same result.
Your answer of x = y = 7/2 does not work in either equation.
- Linear Equations - megan, Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:22am
Solve the following system of equations by the substitution method.
8x = 2y + 5
3x = y + 7
- Linear Equations - jessica, Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 6:06am
MAKING X THE SUBJECT IN EQN 2
SUBSTITUTING IN EQN 1
THE Y GETS ELIMINATED,HENCE THERE IS NO SOLUTION
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Substitution Method-Plz help - Use the Substitution method to solve the system ...
- Algebra Multiple Choice - Hello, This is the last of questions I have for my ...
- Pre-Calculus - I have to use the substitution method to solve the system of ...
- Algebra - Solve this system of linear equations. * Used the substitution method ...
- Algebra - solving linear equations w/ substitution - The question in the book ...
- Algebra - Can someone please help solve this? Solve by using addition or ...
- algebra - I need help, i have to solve the linear solution using substitution, ...
- math - 1. Solve for the indicated letter D=4e, for e The solution is e= 2. G(x...
- algebra - Can someone please help. When you solve a system of equations by the ...
- algebra - Can someone help me figure this out please? when you solve a system of...