Posted by B.B. on Monday, March 1, 2010 at 4:59pm.
Could someone please help me with this math problem?
Solve using the multiplication principle. Give the answer in set-builder notation.
-4/5 less than or equal to -8x.
I want to say that I multiply both sides by 5 but I'm not sure. I'm confused with this problem.
- Math - bobpursley, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 5:08pm
you are trying to solve for x. How does multiplying by 5 do that? Why not start by multiplying by 1/8? You do have one more step.
- Math - Reiny, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 5:08pm
go with your instinct
-4/5 ≤ -8x
times by +5
-4 ≤ -8x
"move" the terms
8x ≤ 4
divide by 8
x ≤ 1/2
remember you switch the inequality sign only if you multiply or divide the inequation by a negative, we multiplied by +8, so it stayed the same.
- ooooppss Math - Reiny, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 5:11pm
forgot to multiply the right side by 5
-4 ≤ -40x
40x ≤ 4
x ≤ 1/10
- Math - B.B., Monday, March 1, 2010 at 6:32pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - solve using set builder notation -8-11(3x+7)less than or equal to -40x-9
- Math-geometry - I do not understand set-builder notation..... Using correct ...
- algebra - Q: when graphing the equation y = 4/3x + 2, the y intercept is? A: (0,...
- Math (Algebra) - Solve using the multiplication principle -7x <_ 35 the sign ...
- Math - Solve by using the multiplication principle -2x> 1 over 9 I have tried...
- Hard math - Solve by using the multiplication principle -2x> 1 over 9 I have ...
- Math equation - solve using the addition and multiplication principle 5x+2-4 ...
- math equation - solve using the addition and multiplication principle 5x+2-4x is...
- math - Can someone please check my answers? Thank you! 1. is (-8,-9) a solution ...
- math - Solve -3(x-10)>-x+5. Write your solution using set builder notation. ...