Posted by Janus on Monday, March 1, 2010 at 8:01am.
A 12 cu.ft tank contains hydrogen sulfide gas at 150psia & 80°F after 5 pounds of the gas have been drawn out. Before any gas left the tank the temperature was 70°F.
What mass of gas was in the tank originally and what pressure?
just to check:
V=12cu.ft = 20736cu.in
t=80°f = 540°R
m=(150 x 20736 x (1/12)) / (45.5 x 540)
original mass inside the tank
P=(15.6195 x 45.2 x 530) / (20736 x (1/12))
- Thermodynamics - drwls, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 9:45am
Your method looks OK but I would have to check the value of R in such unconventional units. I don't understand whay you multiplied V by 1/12 instead of 12
- Thermodynamics - Janus, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 10:17am
My mistake I forgot to add the units
Unit of R = (ft lb(force)) / lb(mass) °R
P = lb x (ft lb(force)) / lb(mass) °R) / (cu in x (1ft/12in)
the (1ft/12in) is suppose to make the P into lb / sq in.
- Thermodynamics - Janus, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 10:21am
P = lb x (ft lb(force)) / lb(mass) °R) °R / (cu in x (1ft/12in)
- Thermodynamics - drwls, Monday, March 1, 2010 at 11:57am
If you were converting cubic inches to cubic feet, you would multiply by 1/1728, not 1/12.
Answer this Question
- science - 'Imagine there is a tank of unknown gas that contains 53.31% carbon, ...
- physics - a metal tank with a volume of 3.10 L will burst if the absolute ...
- Physics - A metal tank with volume 3.10 L will burst if the pressure of the gas ...
- physics - A rigid tank contains 1.80 moles of an ideal gas. Determine the number...
- Physics - A rigid tank contains 1.80 moles of an ideal gas. Determine the number...
- Physics - A rigid tank contains 1.20 moles of an ideal gas. Determine the number...
- physics - A tank contains 12.2 g of chlorine gas (Cl2) at a temperature of 84 °C...
- algerbra - how to set up this problem? your new car's gas tank holds 12 gallons...
- Chemistry - You have a 4.0 L steel tank containing hydrogen gas. You are able to...
- physics - Question Part Points Submissions Used 1 –/1 0/2 Total –/1 A rigid tank...