Posted by Jack on Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 11:48pm.
Balance the following equations.
A) SO2 + O2 --> SO3
B)Fe2O3 + H2 --> Fe +H2O
C)P + O2 -->P4O10
D)Al + N2 --> AlN
Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 11:56pm
This is done by trial and error. But I will go through the first one.
SO2 + O2 ==> SO3
1. Take them in order.
2. S balances so we are ok.
3. O doesn't balance AND I notice that we have an even/odd number of the two sides so we KNOW we can never balance them unless we use something like the common denominator for 2 and 3. That would be 6 so we do it this way.
S + 3O2 ==> 2SO3 which takes care of the O nicely. Of course, it messes up the S BUT we can fix that.
4. We add a 2 for the reactant S.
2S + 3O2 ==>2SO3
THEN we ALWAYS check it at the end.
I see 2 S on each side.
I see 6 O on each side.
Practice makes perfect. As you do more of these you gain experience which helps tell you where to start balancing, which ones to look for trick of the trade, etc. Good luck.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Balance the following equastions: Fe2O3 +c --> Fe +CO2 SO2 + O2...
- chemistry - balance: SO2(g)+O2(g)------->SO3(g) the concentration of SO2 and ...
- chemistry - An equilibrium mixture of SO2,SO3 and O2 gases is maintained in a 11...
- CHM - Need help please Which of the following equations has the coefficients 2,1...
- Chemistry - Use the equations with the enthalpy information given below to ...
- Chemistry - An equilibrium mixture of SO2, O2, and SO3 at 1000 K contains the ...
- P. Chemistry - The equilibrium 2 SO2(g) + O2(g) 2 SO3(g) has the value K = 2.5 ...
- Chemistry - SO3 can be produced in the following two-step process: FeS2 + O2...
- chemistry - An equilibrium mixture of SO2, O2, and SO3 at 1000 K contains the ...
- Chemistry - A sample of iron(II) sulfate was heated in an evacuated container to...