Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:10am.
three number form an arithmetric sequence. Their sum is 24.
A)If 'a' is the first number and 'd' the common difference, show that a+d=8
B)If the first number is decreased by 1 and the second number by 2, the three numbers then form a geometric sequence. Find the three terms.
- maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:39am
your last 3 postings all deal with the basic definitions of sequences and series and involve translating the English statements into mathematical expressions.
Why don't you show me what you have done for this one so far, and I will gladly help you further.
- maths - Anonymous, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:49am
ok cool... a) S/n=n/2 [2a+(n-1)d]
B)i dont know from here hey...
my name is marco
- maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:02am
ok Marko, it would have been easier to just do this
a + a+d + a+2d = 24
3a + 3d = 24
a + d = 8
b) so now we know that a = 8-d
"If the first number is decreased by 1" so term1 = a-1
" the second number by 2" , so term2 = a+d - 2
our new terms are then
t1 = a-1 = 8-d - 1 = 7-d
t2 = a+d-2 = 8-d-d-2 = 6
t3 = a+2d = 8-d + 2d = 8+d
now these form a GS
6/(7-d) = (8+d)/6
- correction - maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:05am
near the end I had a typo but it did not cause an error
t2 = a+d-2 = 8-d-d-2 = 6 should have been
t2 = a+d-2 = 8-d+d-2 = 6
- maths - Anonymous, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:20am
ok thx.. i got 36=(8+d)(7-d)
36= 56-8d+7d-d squared
- maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:38am
Nice, see how easy they are ?
- maths - Anonymous, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 10:13am
ya thx a ton
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - the sum of the first nine terms of an arithmetic sequence 216. The 1st, ...
- Calculus Infinite Geometric Series - So this is what Im basically doing, I got ...
- maths - In the sequence: x+4y ; 2y+2 ;x ;y-1, (consisting of 4 terms) the first ...
- math - Three numbers in an arithmetic sequence sum to six. If you add 1 to the ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- Math URGENT HELP - Find the next three terms in the sequen 1. 30, 22, 14, 6... -...
- Math - The first three elements of a number sequence are 1, 2, 3. ( As you can ...
- MATH URGENT ASAP - Find the next three terms in the sequen 1. 30, 22, 14, 6...
- 6th grade math - Can you check these problems, please? Translate each phrase ...
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...