Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:10am.
three number form an arithmetric sequence. Their sum is 24.
A)If 'a' is the first number and 'd' the common difference, show that a+d=8
B)If the first number is decreased by 1 and the second number by 2, the three numbers then form a geometric sequence. Find the three terms.
- maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:39am
your last 3 postings all deal with the basic definitions of sequences and series and involve translating the English statements into mathematical expressions.
Why don't you show me what you have done for this one so far, and I will gladly help you further.
- maths - Anonymous, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:49am
ok cool... a) S/n=n/2 [2a+(n-1)d]
B)i don't know from here hey...
my name is marco
- maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:02am
ok Marko, it would have been easier to just do this
a + a+d + a+2d = 24
3a + 3d = 24
a + d = 8
b) so now we know that a = 8-d
"If the first number is decreased by 1" so term1 = a-1
" the second number by 2" , so term2 = a+d - 2
our new terms are then
t1 = a-1 = 8-d - 1 = 7-d
t2 = a+d-2 = 8-d-d-2 = 6
t3 = a+2d = 8-d + 2d = 8+d
now these form a GS
6/(7-d) = (8+d)/6
- correction - maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:05am
near the end I had a typo but it did not cause an error
t2 = a+d-2 = 8-d-d-2 = 6 should have been
t2 = a+d-2 = 8-d+d-2 = 6
- maths - Anonymous, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:20am
ok thx.. i got 36=(8+d)(7-d)
36= 56-8d+7d-d squared
- maths - Reiny, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:38am
Nice, see how easy they are ?
- maths - Anonymous, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 10:13am
ya thx a ton
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- Math - The sum of three numbers equal 92. The second number is 8 more than the ...
- math - Three numbers in an arithmetic sequence sum to six. If you add 1 to the ...
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...
- MS. SUE - MATH HELP PLEASE - The sum of five times a number and twice a second ...
- algebra - three times a first number decreased by a second number is 25. the ...
- Please help quick! Math - The sum of three times a first number n twice second ...
- Math - The sum of three times a first number and twice a scond number is 43. If ...
- show low high school - he first number is 3 more than the second number. the sum...
- Algebra 2 - The sum of three numbers is 23. The first number is equal to twice ...