Posted by Christopher on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 1:45pm.
When would you use:
Jim and I
Jim and me?
Can you give me some examples...and maybe a website. Thank you.
English-Grammar - GuruBlue, Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 1:49pm
'I' is always used in the subject or predicate nominative position.
I like ice cream. Jim and I like ice cream.
'Me' is always used in the object position, direct object, indirect object, object of a preposition.
Mom called me. Mom called Jim and me.
Mom gave me ice cream. Mom gave Jim and me ice cream (indirect objects)
Mom gave ice cream to me.
Mom gave ice cream to Jim and me.
(object of preposition)
English-Grammar - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 1:55pm
I is a subject pronoun.
Jim and I went to the movies.
The best players are Jim and I.
In the second sentence, "Jim and I" are subject compliments because they mean the same as the subject, "players."
Me is an object pronoun, used as a direct object, indirect object, or object of a preposition.
Please give Jim and me half the pizza. (indirect object)
Did you see Jim and me? (direct object)
Jose lives near Jim and me. (object of preposition.
An easy way to know when to use I and me is to remove the other name. You wouldn't say,
Me went to the movies.
Give I half the pizza.
Did you see I?
Jose lives near I.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Choose the correct word or phrase to fill in the blank. Do you really ...
- Literature, English - Can anyone help me with this question? (: I was sick the ...
- reading comprehension - Bob has a brother, Jim, who has a daughter named Bertha...
- Logical Reasoning - During the spring, Jim mows his lawn twice per week. During ...
- british english 12 - Discuss the narration in "My Antonia" and how the use of ...
- Math - So Prize money of $500 is divided between Alan & Jim so that Alan ...
- Mathematics - Last year Jim's gross weekly pay was $920 and he received $520 in ...
- Accounting - Journalize the following transactions for Tammy Company: Sept. 1 ...
- math - jim has a box in the shape of a rectangular prism. The area of the base ...
- Literature/Huck Finn - please check this question: Jim and Huck both decide that...