Posted by Sara on Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:13pm.
How is a meteor and astroid similar?
Meteors and asteroids are both rocks from space that sometimes hit the earth. They may be made from ice.
How are they different?
Meteors are known as shooting stars. They move very fast across the sky. Asteroids are found in the asteroid belt, and are relatively small.
How is a comet different from a meteor? How are they alike?
A comet is relatively small. It is composed of dirt and ice. The comet's tail always points away from the sun. They are both alike by they both have beautiful effects. They both streak the sky. They are both rocks.
Now I need help filling in the chart, can someone please tell me how to do that:-)
Science-Help - drwls, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:29pm
Asteroids are bigger than meteors, and they are NOT made of ice. Comets are mainly ice. Most comets have very elliptical orbits, or only come once, They originate from far beyond Pluto. Asteroids spend most or all of their timne between Mars and Jupiter.
Meteors can be either a stone or iron variety. A few have been found on Earth that came from Mars after an asteroid hit Mars.
Science-Help - Sara, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:31pm
Thanks. Are meteroites just like meteors?
Science-Help - Priscilla, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:39pm
Small pieces of space debris (usually parts of comets or asteroids) that are on a collision course with the Earth are called meteoroids. When meteoroids enter the Earth's atmosphere they are called meteors. Most meteors burn up in the atmosphere, but if they survive the frictional heating and strike the surface of the Earth they are called meteorites.
Science-Help - drwls, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:39pm
Meteorites are meteors that enter the earth's atmosphere and (usually) burn up.
Science-Help - Sara, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:40pm
Thanks Priscilla, thanks drwls :-)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science helppp. - 4. Small pieces of rock that enter Earth's atmosphere at ...
- science - Large craters are visible on the moon but not common on the earth's ...
- Science - 1.Why can certain stars sometimes be identified as eclipsing binary ...
- Physics please HELP - A meteor is approaching. Assume that the meteor started ...
- biology - What regulary hit the earth for the first 600 million years of ...
- Astronomy - 1.Why can certain stars sometimes be identified as eclipsing binary ...
- Science - Check My Answers, please? Which of the following planets is considered...
- Science - 1.)Check My Answers, please? Which of the following planets is ...
- physics - About 50,000 years ago, in an area located outside Flagstaff, Arizona...
- science - I need help checking my answers. the * stands for my answer some of ...