Posted by Tommy on Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:00pm.
The equilibrium 2 SO2(g) + O2(g) 2 SO3(g) has the value K = 2.5 1010 at 500. K. Find the value of K for each of the following reactions at the same temperature.
(a) SO2(g) + 1/2 O2(g) SO3(g)
(b) SO3(g) SO2(g) + 1/2 O2(g)
(c) 3 SO2(g) + 3/2 O2(g) 3 SO3(g)
I attempted to solve this by first finding Kc using the first equation given...I used Kc=K/ (RT)^delta n where delta n= gas products-gas reactants.
I found Kc to be 1.04E12 and then plugged that in to find K for each of the following reactions..however each of my answers was incorrect so I must not be doing this right.
- P. Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:11pm
No, that isn't the way to approach it.
For the reaction
A + B = C + D
Given that K = 25
For 2A + 2B = 2C + 2D
K = 252
For 1/2 A + 1/2B = 1/2 C + 1/2 D
K = 251/2
For C + D ==> A + B
K = 1/25
This should help.
- P. Chemistry - Tommy, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:30pm
ok. I was able to get hte first two but my last one is incorrect. i keep solving it to equal 2.53E-16 by making that k= 1/(2.5E10)^1.5 Not sure why this is incorrect..I inverted the K since hte rxn is reversed and then used the multiplier as the exponent
- P. Chemistry - Tommy, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:32pm
oop just realized the third one isn't reversed....DOH! Thanks DrBob
- P. Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:38pm
Right. It isn't reversed AND it is to the 3/2 power. .
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - SO2(g) + NO2(g) SO3(g) + NO (g) At a given temperature, analysis of ...
- Gen Chem - Consider the reaction: 2 SO2(g) + O2(g) ↔ 2 SO3(g). If, at ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - For the reaction, 2 SO2(g) + O2(g) == 2 SO3(g), at 450...
- Chemistry(Urgent, please respond, thanks!!) - 1) For the reaction system, 2 SO2(...
- chem - At a certain temperature, a 19.0-L contains holds four gases in ...
- Chemistry - At a given temperature, analysis of an equilibrium mixture represent...
- Chemistry - At a particular temperature, K=3.75 for the following reaction. SO2(...
- Chemistry(Please help) - For the reaction, 2 SO2(g) + O2(g) == 2 SO3(g), at 450....
- Chemistry - Sulfur trioxide decomposes into sulfur dioxide and oxygen in an ...
- Chemistry - SO2(g) + NO2(g) reverse reaction arrow SO3(g) + NO (g) At a given ...