Posted by Courtney on Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:16pm.
polly wants to build a rectangular dog pen for her poodle. She has 24ft of fencing in 1 ft sections. What are the dimensions of the best dog pen for polly's poodle? explain
Please help my teacher never explains just hands out problems
Geometry - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:18pm
What do you mean by "best?" Is it a long narrow pen so that the dog can run? Or is a pen with the most square feet?
Geometry - Courtney, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:21pm
problem problem just says rectangular dog ben nothing about squar feet so i am assuming so that the dog has the most room
Geometry - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:39pm
You might try a few possible dimensions to see which produces the largest pen.
A = 2L + 2W
A = 2(3) + 2(9)
A = 2(4) + 2(8)
A = 2(6) + 2(6)
Geometry - Courtney, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:50pm
A = 2(4) + 2(8)
8 + 16 = 24
then you would divide the 8 and the 16 by 2 giving the dimensions
4 4 8 8 =24
is this correct
Geometry - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:56pm
Right that would produce a pen that was 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. It would contain 32 square feet.
However a square pen that was 6 feet on each side would have an area of 36 square feet.
Geometry - Courtney, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 6:59pm
Geometry - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 15, 2010 at 7:05pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - Polly decides to use a wall of the house as one sideof the ...
- Math - Brenda is building a rectangular pen for her dog. She has enough fencing ...
- Pre-Algebra-math - Mr.Jones bought 20 yards of fencing to make a pen for his dog...
- Math - You are designing a rectangular dog pen off the back of your house. The ...
- College Algebra Word Problem - A rectangular dog pen is to be made to enclose an...
- Math - Andy plans to build a rectangular dog pen in his backyard. A portion of ...
- math - A friend is building a dog pen with an area of 150 square feet. Each side...
- Math - A rectangular dog pen is to be constructed using a barn wall as one side ...
- math - A rectangular dog pen that has the greatest possible area within a budget...
- grade (5) math - Design a rectangular dog pen that has the greatest possible ...