Posted by Priscilla on Friday, February 12, 2010 at 10:06pm.
A 22-ohm resistor and a 33-ohm resistor are connected in series and placed across 120-V potential difference.
1. what is the equivalent resistance of the circuit?
R = RA + RB
R = 22-ohm + 33-ohm
R = 55-ohm
2. what is the current in the circuit?
I = Vsource/ RA + RB
I = 120/ 55 = 2.2 A
3. what is the voltage drop across each of resistor?
VA = IRA
= 48.4 V
VB = IRB
= 70.4 V
4. What is the voltage drop across the two resistors together?
i'm a little confused with this fourth question, thanks.
Physics - Priscilla, Friday, February 12, 2010 at 10:45pm
Im just confused on number 4 only. Thanks. happy valentines everybody.
Physics - drwls, Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 3:25am
The voltage across "both together" is the sum of the separate voltage drops, which should be 120 V, the supply voltage.
Your Va and Vb are a bit off. They should be and 48 and 72 V. Part of the error may have been in rounding off the current to 2.2 A, but there are some multiplication errors as well.
Physics - Priscilla, Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 3:30pm
Ok, thanks a lot!! i really appreciate this, hope you have a good weekend
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College physics - Find the following potential differences. The magnitude of the...
- Physics - A 40.0 ohm resistor, 20.0 ohm resistor, and a 10.0 ohm resistor are ...
- physics (please check) - A total resistance of 3 ohms is to be producd by ...
- College physics - Find the following currents. The current I_1 through the ...
- physics - A 18.7 ohm and a 24.3 ohm resistor are connected parallel. A ...
- physics. - resistors of 30 ohms and 60 ohms are connected in parallel and joined...
- AC DC Circuit fundamentals - If a 10k ohm and a 5k ohm resister are connected in...
- physics - A series RCL contains 150 ohm resistor, a 1.75x10^-6F capcitor and ...
- Physics - A circuit consists of a 10 ohm resistor in series with 3 identical ...
- physics - the table below shows the values of the resistance, capcitive ...