Posted by Franco on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 2:24pm.
This is the second and last stanza of the poem "Preludes" I need to rephrase.
Thank you very much for your help.
The morning comes to consciousness
Of faint stale smells of beer
From the sawdust-trampled street
With all its muddy feet that press
To early coffee-stands.
With the other masquerades
That times resumes,
One thinks of all the hands
That are raising dingy shades
In a thousand furnished rooms.
The morning is pervaded by the unpleasant smell of beer (faint stale smells of beer??). The town people are walking along sawdust trampled streets (how can I rephrase this?) to early coffee-stands. Human beings are compared to dingy shades. They are as inconsistant as shadows. Though deprived of their human dignity, they are getting up in their furnished room.
I can't understand the verse "with the other masquerades that time resumes"
Thank you very much for your help!!
- English - SraJMcGin, Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 6:44pm
The town people = The townspeople
sawdust trampled streets = streets sprinkled/covered with sawdust?
the hands raising dingy shades implies that the apartments are dismal where people are raising the shades. It does not compare people with those shades.
with the other masquerades that time resumes = to me this describes the drudgery of each day just trying to survive in the big city. Each life may be different but looking at a tenement building, for example, who can tell?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Can you help me rephrase some lines of Eliot’s “The Preludes I-II”? 1...
- english - i need a poem with 4 stanzas 3 line each with 1. stanza of metaphor 1...
- English IV - The effect urban life has on the woman in the poem "Preludes" by T....
- English - I really need your help to rephrase the poem "Preludes" by T.S.Eliot. ...
- litearture - do you know what's the titile of this poem? (Love is ill suited ...
- English - Writeacher, I urgently need to rephrase Shakespeare's sonnet "When I ...
- English - Thank you very much for helping me! Your information was really of ...
- English - Could you please help me rephrase these sentences? Thank you. 1) Dad ...
- English - Thank you very much for your corrections. These are the very last ...
- English - Smells bad. Do you mind if I open the window? - I'm sorry but I do. I ...