Posted by John on Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 6:57pm.
During the immigrant experience in the early 1800s U.S. is said to be a "melting pot", and Canada a "mosaic".
a.) What do these two terms mean to you?
Melting pot describes the blending of cultures into a single nation.
Cultural mosaic describes the mix of cultures coexisting in society.
b.)Why do you thing the countrie took these two approaches to immigration?
America wanted everyone to be the same to create a single strong nation.
Canada accepted the diversity of different cultures to expand their nation.
c.) Do you see more advantages for on policy over the other? (explain)
Can someone please check my answers? And Please clarify part "c" for me because I don't understand what it's asking?
Social Studies (URGENT) - bobpursley, Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 7:00pm
a,b are ok
c: which do you think is a better national policy?
Social Studies (URGENT) - Ms. Sue, Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 7:02pm
a. I agree. I've heard them described as soup. The vegetables in the melting pot have been pureed so every spoonful looks like every other spoonful. In the mosaic pot, the vegetables are distinct and not pureed.
b. I agree.
c. Which do you think is better -- the melting pot in which the country strives to incorporate all cultures into one American culture? Or the mosaic pot in which each element of the Canadian culture is distinguished and valued?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- language arts - choose which metaphor, melting pot or salad bowl, you think is ...
- social studies - Is the U.S. today a melting pot or a mosaic, explain?
- Social Studies (History) - Why was the United States a "salad bowl" rather than ...
- History - Explain why you believe South Carolina is a “melting pot,” a “tossed ...
- just curious for your opinion - Do you think America should be a melting pot? ...
- physics - A 1.23-kg copper pot contains 2.17 L of water. Both pot and water are ...
- physics - A 1.41-kg aluminum pot contains 2.25 L of water. Both pot and water ...
- maths - Here are two pots. Diagram: Pot A- Height: 8cm Pot B- Height: 10cm Pot A...
- Global Studies - Ming Moved to toronto 10 years ago when he was three. He still ...
- Science - A student puts different types of soil into 2 pots and pours the same ...