Posted by Susanne on Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 11:15am.
Identify the appositive or appositive phrase in the following sentences.
1. Washington was awkward with women until he met his wife-to-be, Martha Custis.
A= Martha Custis
2. No salary was paid to Washington, our countryís first millionaire.
AP= our countryís first millionaire
3. He did not live in the White House, todayís executive mansion, because it was not built until John Adamsís administration.
AP= todayís executive mansion
4. Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence, was extremely well educated.
AP= author of the Declaration of Independence
5. He was a gifted architect who designed Monticello, his home in Virginia.
AP= his home in Virginia
Identify the appositive or appositive phrase in the following sentences and the word they modify.
1. Franklin Pierce had dark, curly hair, his one outstanding physical feature.
AP= his one outstanding physical feature, WM=Hair
2. James Buchanan relied on his niece Harriet as his official hostess.
A= Harriet, WM=niece
3. Young Abraham Lincoln, a gangling boy, was largely self-educated.
AP= a gangling boy, WM= Abraham Lincoln
4. While in the White House, Lincoln was saddened by death of his son Willie.
A= Willie, WM=son
5. Of all his children, only Lincolnís son Robert lived to adulthood.
A=Robert, WM=Lincolnís son
- English - MattFromAsia, Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 11:18am
I'm going to say it looks good, but it's past midnight here and I have to admit I lost focus while reading a few of them.
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, February 7, 2010 at 11:24am
I agree, Matt and Susanne. All of these are correct.
Answer this Question
misc. - Was Martha Wasington's last name Custis before she was married? In a way...
grammar - In the following sentence identify the appositive or appositive phrase...
English III - In the following sentence identify the appositive or appositive ...
ENGLISH 111 - In the following sentence identify the appositive or appositive ...
English - In the following sentence identify the appositive or appositive phrase...
english - Identify the appositive or complete appositive phrase. Sam, our cat, ...
English - This is what I think they are 1."Leaving their native land to colonize...
college - Write a sentence of at least 150 wordsóno substituting semicolons or ...
English - 4. (Landing in New England) caused much disappointment among the ...
English-Grammar - Decide if the underlined (in parentheses) pronoun in the ...