Posted by June on Friday, February 5, 2010 at 6:58pm.
A rifle has a mass of 4.73 kg and it fires a bullet of mass 13.6 g at a muzzle speed of 829 m/s. What is the recoil speed of the rifle as the bullet leaves the gun barrel?
So far, I've got (using p for momentum) p=p, so massXchange in velocity of the bullet will will equal the massXchange in velocity of the rifle. So my work looks like:
.136kg x 829m/s = 4.73kg x v
Which gives me 23.8m/s, which is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?
Physics - bobpursley, Friday, February 5, 2010 at 7:07pm
For speed, it is correct. If it were asking for velocity, I would add a negative sign, meaning the opposite direction from the bullet.
Physics - June, Friday, February 5, 2010 at 7:10pm
I've tried that, but the program I'm using still says that that is incorrect.
Physics - bobpursley, Friday, February 5, 2010 at 7:16pm
The program is incorrect. Put a hex on it.
Physics - tim, Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:33am
is there .136kg for 13.6g.....check that
Physics - alex, Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 8:23pm
13.6g is 0.0136kg
Physics - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 10:24am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - 1) a bullet of mass 0.02 kg is fired into a block of wood of mass 1.5 ...
- Physics - A 30-06 caliber hunting rifle fires a bullet of mass 0.0101 kg with a ...
- physics - A 30-06 caliber hunting rifle fires a bullet of mass 0.0118 kg with a ...
- hw - A 30-06 caliber hunting rifle fires a bullet of mass 0.00829 kg with a ...
- Physics - If the rifle is stopped by the hunter’s shoulder in a distance of 3.16...
- Physics - A rifle shoots a 4.1g bullet out of it's barrel. The bullet has a ...
- Physics - A rifle with a mass of 1.84 kg fires a bullet with a mass of 4.5 g (0....
- Physics - A rifle with a mass of 1.2 kg fires a bullet with a mass of 6.0 (0....
- physics - A rifle of mass 3.0 kg fires a 15 gram bullet with a muzzle speed of ...
- physics - The barrel of a rifle has a length of 0.976 m. A bullet leaves the ...