Posted by Sara on Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:07pm.
This is the last question on the essay. The author of this essay is Shirley Whittington
Last question: Some people consider puns to be the lowest form of humour. What points does Whittington advance to suggest the respectabililty of puns? Do you agree with her views? Comment.
I need a better explanation of this question, can you please explain, thanks :-)
English-Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:11pm
What did Whittington say that shows that she likes puns?
What do you think about puns?
English-Ms. Sue - Sara, Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:16pm
Ms. Sue, I am actually unable to understand some terms/words used in this essay, so It's kind of hard for me to actually figure out what Whittington thinks about puns. I don't really understand this sentence:
Those who dote on puns vigilantly monitor conversation, listening less for sense than for a hook upon which to hang a word perversion.
English-Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:18pm
That sentence means:
People who like puns listen to conversations carefully. They want to find words that they can turn into puns.
English-Ms. Sue - Sara, Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:28pm
So Whittington says that if conversations are listened carefully to, then humourous puns can be made easily. I think puns are cool, and can be humourous at times. Some puns can be mean as well, that is if they reflect on you, such as your personality, or appearance. I think that they can be humourous just naturally, to some they may, to some they may not. Same response for why I think they can be serious as well.
Please add any other info, thanks
English-Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:51pm
Good answer, Sara!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English-Ms. Sue - my other question; What is the purpose of this essay? How can ...
- English-Ms. Sue - What is the purpose of this essay? How can you tell? - Second ...
- English-Ms. Sue - What do you consider to be the best and worst puns in the ...
- English - ms. sue - ms. sue i writing an essay on : is it possible to live a ...
- Essay Key Points - So for school I have to write an essay over rock climbing, ...
- english - Choose an essay or a short story to read. Then answer the following ...
- 10 grade English - Write an essay comparing Baldwin's account of the Titanic ...
- English - A question on "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson ? I am writing an essay...
- English - How does an individual struggle to gain freedom against the restraints...
- English essay - how can we advance economic inequality? need some inputs for my ...