Posted by Anonymous on Monday, February 1, 2010 at 8:30pm.
When 50 mL of 1.0 M AgNO3 is added to 50 mL of 0.50 M HCl, a precipitate of AgCl forms. After the reaction is complete, what is the concentration of silver ions in the resulting solution?
(a) 0.50 M
(b) 1.0 M
(d) 0.25 M
(e) 0.75 M
How do I go about solving this?
I attempted to start it.. I'm looking to find concentration, correct? So I would use molarity, which = moles solute / liters solution
M= mol solute / L soln
How do I find the moles of solute? which is the solute, is it AgNO3?
Would the L of soln be 0.1 L, because 50 mL + 50 mL = 100 mL = 0.1 L?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, February 1, 2010 at 10:25pm
Yes, the volume will be 0.05L + 0.05L= 0.1 L.
If you started with 0.05 L of 1 M AgNO3, you had 0.05 moles Ag ion initially.
You added 0.05 L x 0.5 M = 0.025 moles HCl.
So 0.025 moles Ag ion were used leaving
0.050-0.025 = 0.025 moles Ag ion (and I'm assuming we neglect the VERY small amount of Ag ion that comes from the AgCl ppt).
M = moles/L. 0.025/0.1 =
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 6:57pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - 24.0 mL of 2.4 M silver nitrate is mixed with 32.0 mL of 2.0 M ...
- chemistry - '24.6 mL of 0.488 M NaCl is added to 24.6 mL of 0.312 M AgNO3. How ...
- Chemistry - Complete the following chemical reaction. Label any precipitate that...
- Chemistry - The values of Ksp for silver bromide, AgBr is 7.7x10^-13, and silver...
- chemistry - the solubility of AgCl in HCl is a. low, as Cl- ions cause an ...
- Chemistry - A 100.0mL solution containing aqueous HCl and HBr was titrated with ...
- chemistry - The balanced reaction is CaCO3 + 2 NaF -> CaF2 + Na2CO3 If you ...
- Chemistry - A solution contains an unknown mass of dissolved silver ions. When ...
- chemistry - 1 liter of a 1 M lithium hydroxide solution is added to 1 liter of a...
- chemistry - 1. Calculate the volume of carbon dioxide at 273 K and 1.01 * 10^5 ...