Posted by - on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 7:53pm.
Tidal forces are greatest when the Eaetg, the sun and the moon are in line. When this occurs at the Annapolis Tidal Generating Station, the waterhas a maximum depth of 9.6 m at 4:30 pm and a minimum depthof 0.4 m 6.2 hourslater.
the equation is:
y= 4.6cos (2pi/12.4) (t-4.5) + 5
I don't know how the phase shift was determined.
What is the depth of the water at 9:30 am and 6:45 pm??
- math pls - drwls, Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 8:15pm
In your equation, t is the number of hours past noon.
At 9:30 AM, use your equation with t = -2.5 (hours)
At 6:45 PM, use your equation at 2.25 h.
Cosine function fits to tidal variations, such as this, are not good for much more than 12 hours. The amplitude is constantly changing.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Calculate the tidal force experienced by Io. How does it compare to ...
- astronomy - Calculate the tidal force experienced by Io. How does it compare to ...
- Science - WHICH SYSTEM HAS THE GREATEST TIDAL EFFECT? EARTH-SUN OR EARTH-MOON?
- Science - Why does the Moon exert a greater tidal influence than the Sun?
- physics - Which of these three produces a greater tidal effect on you right nowó...
- Astronomy help - I have already solve the problems in many time, but still ...
- Science - In a tidal barrage scheme, the area of sea-water behind the barrage is...
- Astronomy - Explain what occurs during tidal friction?
- Physics (please help) - Calculate the magnitudes of the gravitational forces ...
- Physic - The tidal interaction between the Earth and the Moon has caused: