Posted by physics help! on Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 4:50pm.
Phobos is the larger and closer of Marsís two moons. It has no atmosphere, a mean radius of 11 km, an albedo of 0.07, and an emissivity of 1.0.
(i) Assuming that the radiative temperature of Phobos is 222 K and that it is spherical, what is its mean distance from the sun?
(ii) Mars is much cooler than the Sun (210 K) but much closer to Phobos (9.38*10^6 m). Its radius is 3.4*10^6 m. Does the radiation from Mars have a significant effect on the temperature of Phobos?
PHYSICS- SCIENCE - drwls, Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 5:31pm
(i) Perform an energy balance using the irradiance of the sun at the Mars location (Hsun) and the thermal emission of Mars:
0.93* pi* R^2 * Hsun =
1.0 * sigma* T^4* 4*pi R^2
+ 0.07* pi* R^2 * Hsun
The R^2 terms cancel out. You know that T = 222 K. Solve for R, the mean distance from the sun.
Note that the intercepted solar flux area is pi R^2 but the areas that is doing the infrared emitting is 4 pi R^2.
"Sigma" is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant. Look it up if you don't know it.
ii) Compare the absorbed energy from the sun,
alphap* pi* Rp^2 * Hsun
with the absorbed infrared energy from Mars,
Rm = Mars radius
Rp = Phobos radius
X = Mars-Phobos separation
Tm = Mars temperature
alphap = Phobos albedo (assume 0.5) They should have given you a value for alphap
The (1/pi) term in the last equation is necessary to convert total Mars emission per projected area to radiation per area per steradian.
Answer this Question
- PHYSICS - Phobos is the larger and closer of Marsís two moons. It has no ...
- PHYSICS- SCIENCE - . Phobos is the larger and closer of Marsís two moons. It has...
- Physics - Mars has two moons, Phobos and Deimos. It is known that the larger ...
- physics - 1. The physics of Mars and its two moons. Mars has two moons, Phobos ...
- Physics - Mars' moon Phobos has a mass of 1.07x1016 kg and a mean radius of 11.1...
- astronomy - when earth and mars are closest to each other in their orbits the ...
- Physics - The atmosphere of Mars exerts a pressure of only 600 Pa on the surface...
- Physics - Mars has a mass of about 6.4*10^23 kg, and it's moon Phobos has a mass...
- Physics - Mars has a mass of about 6.4 X 10^23 kg, and its moon Phobos has a ...
- physics - Mars has a mass of about 6.8 ◊ 1023 kg, and its moon Phobos has a mass...