Posted by 6th Grade Math on Friday, January 22, 2010 at 7:02pm.
How do I know what number goes on top and what number goes on the bottom. For example
3 pounds for $1.89
Math - bobpursley, Friday, January 22, 2010 at 7:11pm
YOu can do it each way:
Both are unit rates, one is lbs/dollar, the other is dollars/lb
rate1= 1.89/3= 93 cents/lb or
rate2= 3/1.89= 1lb/1.57
You use the one depending on the type of problem..
What is the cost of 34 lbs?
cost= rate*lbs= .93dollars/lb *34 lbs
What is the amount I can get for 53 dollars
amount= 1lb/1.58dollars * 53 dollars
So which rate? Examine both, and examine what you are looking for.
Math - landon, Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 6:11pm
Math - Syd, Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 3:37pm
Money goes on top
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - I'M IN 6 GRADE PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW TO RENAME FRACTIONS TO DECIMALS AS EASY...
- MATH - HOW DO YOU MULTIPLY FRACTIONS? what is quik and easy way to mutply ...
- math - everybody help!!!!!!!!!!!!i cant post it but its a graph and it do ...
- Logic - Lucy goes to stanford. Ben goes to Yale. Eliza goes to Oxford. And Peter...
- Math - the lim [as x goes to infinity] (.25)^x =0?? Yes, the limit is zero. The ...
- Math - Hello. I am trying to help out my sister and find patterns in numbers...
- Math - If the number in the numerator of a unit rate is 1 what does this ...
- Math - If the number in the numerator of a unit rate is 1, what does this ...
- Math - Moesha volunteers at the zoo. She prepared a bar graph that shows the ...
- Calculus - I am sorry. I am really struggling with limits. I am not sure of an ...