Posted by Channing on Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 4:56pm.
A box without a lid is constructed from a 38 inch by 38 inch piece of cardboard by cutting in. squares from each corner and folding up the sides.
a) Determine the volume of the box as a function of the variable .
b) Use a graphing calculator to approximate the values of that produce a volume of 3858.1875.
c)There are 3 values of that produce the given value but only two of them are acceptable in the context of the problem. List the two answers, to at least one decimal place.
*I don't even know how to start please help!
- 11th grade math - Damon, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 5:10pm
length of box = 38 - 2x
width of box = 38-2x
volume of box = V = (38-2x)(38-2x)(x)
V = (1444-152x+4x^2)x
V = 1444x -152x^2 +4x^3
that should get you started
- 11th grade math - Channing, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 6:13pm
SO would I set both (1444-152x+4x^2)x
and 1444x -152x^2 +4x^3 equal to 3858.1875 to find part c?
- 11th grade math - vianney, Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 9:49am
6x2 - 21xy + 8xz - 28yz.
- 11th grade math - david, Friday, October 8, 2010 at 6:27pm
had this same probem for college pre-calculue couldnt solve B any other way but guess and check/logic x=4.5
- 11th grade math - david, Friday, October 8, 2010 at 6:38pm
secondary largest possible answre is
Answer this Question
- pre-calc - A box with an open top is to be constructed by cutting equal-sized ...
- Algebra - A box with no top is to be constructed from a piece of cardboard ...
- math - a tray with a square base is to be made from a square piece of cardboard ...
- Math - A box with no top is to be constructed from a piece of cardboard whose ...
- Math - An open box is to be made from a 11 inch by 11 inch piece of cardboad. ...
- MATH help - A box with no top is to be constructed from a piece of cardboard ...
- math - a piece of cardboard is twice as it is wide. It is to be made into a box ...
- Math - The length of a piece of cardboard is two inches more than its width. an ...
- Algebra - A box with a lid is to be cut out of a 12 inch by 24 inch sheet of ...
- Algebra - You have to make a square-bottomed, unlidded box with a height of ...