Posted by mysterychicken on Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 1:35pm.
I need help on this question:
29. A common feature of thermal pollution and artificial eutrophication is that they both
a. have sources that are difficult to identify and control
b. cause large mats of algae to bloom in fresh water
c. are a result of power plants and other industrial activity
d. decrease the amount of oxygen dissolved in water
'...Eutrophication caused by humans is called artificial eutrophication. Fertilizer from farms, lawns, and gardens is the largest source of nutrients that cause artificial eutrophication. Phosphates in some laundry and dish washing detergents are another major cause of eutrophication. Phosphorus is a plant nutrient that can cause the excessive growth of algae. In bodies of water polluted by phosphorus, algae can form large floating mats, called algal blooms. As the algae die and decompose, most of the dissolved oxygen is used and fish and other organisms suffocate in the oxygen-depleted water.
...When the temperature of a body of water, such as a lake or stream increases, thermal pollution can result. thermal pollution can occur when power plants and other industries use water in their cooling systems and then discharge the warm water into a lake or river. thermal pollution can cause large fish kills if he discharged water is too warm for the fish to survive. But most thermal pollution is more subtle. If the temperature of a body of water rises even a few degrees, the amount of oxygen the water can hold decreases significantly. As oxygen level drop, aquatic organisms may suffocate and die. If the flow of warm water into a lake or stream is constant, it may cause the total disruption of an aquatic ecosystem.'
hold on, i think i got it. is it D?
Environmental Science - y912f, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 1:36pm
sorry about that.
This is a repost from yesterday. I didn't get an answer to this.
Can someone please help me, please ?!
Envi - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 1:44pm
Check this definition, reread the above paragraphs, and then tell us what you think.
Envi - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 3:45pm
The answer is D
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Environmental Science - I need help on this question: 29. A common feature of ...
- Environmental Science - I need a little help on these, i've posted them a few ...
- Environmental Science - 29. A common feature of thermal pollution and artificial...
- Environmental Science - are these correct? 29. A common feature of thermal ...
- Environmental Science - I need help trying to figure out what the main idea of ...
- ecology - what are the six steps of the very serious and common water pollution ...
- Environmental Science - Here is a sentence that says: In bodies of water ...
- Environmental Science - What is another cause of artificial eutrophication? ...
- Environmental Science - Can someone please like help me? :') Mack, what is your ...
- Science - Which one of the following best describe a eutrophic lake? A. algae ...